The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Weblogs Forum
To Kids, it's Just a Sickness

1 reply on 1 page. Most recent reply: Apr 19, 2005 2:11 PM by Merriodoc Brandybuck

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 1 reply on 1 page
Michael Feathers

Nickname: mfeathers

To Kids, it's Just a Sickness (View in Weblogs)
Posted: Apr 15, 2005 1:25 PM
Reply to this message Reply
Summary
Career day wasn't as fun as it could've been.
Advertisement

This was it. This was the year when I was going to go to my kids' elementary school and tell them what I do for career day. My daughter had seen me futzing around in Squeak a while back and she thought it was very cool and she thought that the kids in her class could use it to connect with the idea of programming.

So, I arrive this morning and pull out my laptop. First class arrives in half an hour.. starting to set up.. connecting wires.. going through every possible combination, but my laptop and the projector just can't agree to display my screen. Aaaaghh! So, I decide to go it alone. Seasoned (or at least battle-scarred) instructor, I've worked without projectors before. Hand motions.. discussion.. no demos. A loss, but salvagable.

So I talk, we discuss.. I tell them what a programmer does.. we talk about computers, programming, etc. And then it happened: All the questions were about viruses.

"How do viruses get on my computer?" "How can I stop them?" "When I see a little stop sign in my system tray does that mean I have a virus?" "My mom says that when I type 'www' I can get viruses." "What do I do when I have a virus?" "Are viruses written by companies?" And the classic: "Are there any pop ups that tell you true things?"

I answered the questions as best I could, but it was sad. So much for the joy of computing. We had an intermission.. I did some more fiddling with the projector. Got it working and had the same class back later. Showed them Squeak and they were floored. They learned that computers can be fun, that you can tinker and learn things. But think about their first impression of computing. It was scary. It is scary.

Merriodoc Brandybuck

Nickname: brandybuck

Re: To Kids, it's Just a Sickness Posted: Apr 19, 2005 2:11 PM
Reply to this message Reply
It's not just kids. A lot of adults have the same issues, at least the ones I know. Part of it is that viruses make good 'news'. Outsiders to big cities often first want to find out about the places to avoid when visiting places such as New York, DC, Chicago, LA, etc. The incredible variety of interesting things to do in any of those places doesn't make anywhere as good news as the latest drug bust, murder spree, mob hit, etc. so that's what people see day in and day out.

At least, that's my take.

I like your blog entries. Why they don't generate more discussion I don't understand. Maybe most people that read this don't interact enough with "normal" people? Maybe I'm just odd...

Flat View: This topic has 1 reply on 1 page
Topic: J2EE, Enlightenment and the way forward Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: Technorati Profile

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use