The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Weblogs Forum
On Blogging

4 replies on 1 page. Most recent reply: Apr 20, 2005 11:25 PM by Matthew Wilson

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 4 replies on 1 page
Jim Waldo

Nickname: waldo

On Blogging (View in Weblogs)
Posted: Apr 16, 2005 6:16 PM
Reply to this message Reply
Summary
Having realized that I didn't get the essence of blogging, I resolve to post with greater regularity and with less guilt. Heaven help us all...
Advertisement
It has been way too long since I last contributed anything to this space. There are all kinds of excuses... I've been working on an interesting project having to do with an infrastructure for medical sensing, I've been working on a book on privacy for the National Academies (it will be out real soon now, I hope), and there have been all sorts of other things going on as life progresses.

But these are all excuses, not reasons. The real reason, I finally understand, is that I really don't understand the notion of blogging. I came to this realization indirectly. My daughter had been exchanging instant messages with her aunt (my sister). She came away from the session mildly amused, but somewhat frustrated. "Aunt Kathy," she said, "doesn't understand IMing. She keeps composing letters. It's kind of irritating, since it takes forever for her to reply to anything." (This, by the way, is a translation that is meant to be only semantically accurate; the actual quote would have had the word "like" thrown in at various points, but I am not a speaker of that dialect, so I won't try to get the quote in it's full glory).

I've realized for some time that different technologies require different kinds of styles. Email is not the same as written mail, and IMing is different from both. Having only recently become a user of the IM form of communication (great way to stay in touch with the kids, by the way), I've learned some of the telegraphy of the form. But my daughter's comment made me realize that I had been using a different form of communication for my blog, and it was not necessary appropriate.

I had been treating my blog much the way I used to treat my column in the old Unix Review. That was a monthly work, and I would think long and hard about the kind of point that I wanted to make, the examples that would illustrate the point, and the way to best present it all. The result was a monthly essay (more on object-oriented programming than on the supposed subjects, which were C++ originally and Java by the end). I was, in short, using my blog as a way to publish a series of essays on the web.

There is nothing wrong with essays on the web. I've become quite an admirer of the essays of Paul Graham (even though I think his opinions on Java say more about his programming background than they do about Java). But there is something very different about the well thought out, well structured essays of Graham and the blogging lunacy of Jose Melendez, with his daily ravings on the Red Sox. I have no doubt that Melendez polishes his prose, but the daily output trumps the deep thought.

In the same way, I have come to realize that a good blog will trade existence for polish. Tis better to post often in rough form than to post a gem (even if it is Zerconium) only once in a great while. So I've made the resolution that I will try to post early and often, knowing that the thoughts may be half-baked. If nothing else, it will give me something to do while watching the Sox.

Philippe Vincent

Nickname: pvincent

Re: On Blogging Posted: Apr 18, 2005 12:29 AM
In my opinion, Blogging is just a way of contributing the Internet content.
For long time, TV, Radio, Books, Newspapers were the mere mediums for broadcasting information.
Mass-People didn't take part of it, they were only subscribers.
Now with Internet, Mass-People can emit too.

Later on, I can imagine a mix of Wikipedia, legacy broadcasting medium (TV,Radio,Books,News) and blogs as the foundation of an Internet Knowledge Base.

Vincent O'Sullivan

Nickname: vincent

Re: On Blogging Posted: Apr 18, 2005 3:13 AM
> I resolve to post with greater regularity and with less guilt.
> It has been way too long since I last contributed anything to this space.

Surely the mark of a good blog is one that contains just what the poster wants to post, when they want to post it. A blog that contains junk just because the poster feels the need to post something - anything - in order to hit a self-imposed rule about regular posts, is no use to anyone.

So hang on to the guilt and post quality not quantity.

Vince.

Paul Caplan

Nickname: paulcaplan

Re: On Blogging Posted: Apr 18, 2005 10:20 AM
> A blog that contains junk just because the poster feels
> the need to post something - anything - in order to hit a > self-imposed rule about regular posts, is no use to anyone.

He didn't say anything about posting junk, IMHO this misses the point completely. The point is that sucessful blogs are naturally more frequent and informal than web essays - this is not a self-imposed rule, this is the way all great blogs are.

Paul

Matthew Wilson

Nickname: bigboy

Re: On Blogging Posted: Apr 20, 2005 11:25 PM
As I've just started blogging for the first time (also here at Artima), one thing I'm having a hard time with is not acknowledging replies. It just feels rude.

Is there an established blog protocol? Should one simply write "Thanks in advance for any/all replies" at the foot of each blog?

It's a big problem! :-)

Flat View: This topic has 4 replies on 1 page
Topic: Software Engineers are like Cyclists Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: J2EE, Enlightenment and the way forward

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use