The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Weblogs Forum
Switching to Artima

19 replies on 2 pages. Most recent reply: Jun 29, 2006 1:28 PM by Quentin Neill

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 19 replies on 2 pages [ « | 1 2 ]
Matt Gerrans

Nickname: matt

Re: blogalog Re: Switching to Artima Posted: Jun 9, 2005 9:36 PM
Reply to this message Reply
Advertisement
I think the nice thing about Artima blogs is that they are misnamed. That is, they are not really blogs in the sense that most blogs are. They seem to have found a comfortable spot between vacuous blogging and full-fledged, meticulously researched articles.

(By the way, try as I might, I just can't get used to the term "blog." It is just a little too cutesy-wootsy).

Bruce Eckel

Nickname: beckel

Re: blogalog Re: Switching to Artima Posted: Jun 10, 2005 5:53 PM
I've learned to just grit my teeth and say it. "blog blog blog blog," after awhile it loses its meaning and you can ignore it.

Eric Gillespie

Nickname: viking

Re: blogalog Re: Switching to Artima Posted: Jun 22, 2005 4:54 PM
> I've learned to just grit my teeth and say it. "blog blog
> blog blog," after awhile it loses its meaning and you can
> ignore it.

Hate the name, love the concept. I think for quality of feedback, a protected wiki is definitely the way to go, however, you still have the problem of validating someone who seems good at the time, but ends up just being another *#&$% spammer. Added to this, you may have complaints from the blogger about the quality of replies if for example, they disagree strongly with the tone of the replies. Say, a dyed-in-the-wool Catholic vs. a radical Protestant. Flame-fest probably summarises this best.

Another point that I've thought of is that the dialog won't "flow" in the same manner as in a single-person blog. Maybe that's intentional, as then it's more of a discussion rather than a blog? I've come here from the IRC world, where things are a LOT more immediate, and statements are generally pithier, and there isn't quite the same room for explaining things in one large chunk. The fact that things are so short makes it feel a lot more "immediate" in feel, just like a real conversation, rather than what eventually happens in a blog or blog-discussion. The "comments" of a blog entry probably match the IRC format best.

Do you intend to have large commentary blocks, as in your current posts? Like, one person puts up say, twelve or fifteen paragraphs, then the second person puts up another ten paragraphs, and so on? Or would it flow better if the "chunks" were smaller?

Bruce, love your books. I'm starting from TIJ so as to get a proper handle on programming. Especially OO and patterns.

Regards, Eric the Viking.

Bruce Eckel

Nickname: beckel

Re: blogalog Re: Switching to Artima Posted: Jul 1, 2005 8:50 AM
Artima doesn't regulate the size of the comments, and I assume there will be longer and shorter comments based on the complexity of the topic.

Quentin Neill

Nickname: qneill

Re: Switching to Artima Posted: Jun 29, 2006 1:28 PM
I'm pretty sure there is a place for Bayesian filters in all of this. Maybe the incoming replies get run through the filters and marked with a spam ranking, and your responses can help teach the filters what you think is spam or not. Eventually it seems like you could trust the filters and turn over moderation completely.

So I googled "Bayesian Blog", et viola: http://www.artima.com/forums/flat.jsp?forum=121&thread=8024

--
"answering my on rhetorical question"-ly Yours,
Quentin

Flat View: This topic has 19 replies on 2 pages [ « | 1  2 ]
Topic: Switching to Artima Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: Getting Paid for Writing

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use