The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Weblogs Forum
Rethinking the Next Heron Release

3 replies on 1 page. Most recent reply: Jul 2, 2005 8:24 PM by Swaroop C H

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 3 replies on 1 page
Christopher Diggins

Nickname: cdiggins

Rethinking the Next Heron Release (View in Weblogs)
Posted: Jul 1, 2005 4:09 PM
Reply to this message Reply
Summary
I have decided to focus my energies on making sure the next version of Heron is a lot more practical. I have decided to put aside some of my more ambitious features and return to the basics of a succesful language: tools, libraries, and ease of use.
Advertisement
Recently I had intense expsure to an excellent programming language, Scala, which inspired me to turn back to Heron, and breathe new life into it.

Martin Odersky has, in my opinion, been doing so many things right with Scala, and it revealed to me the mistakes I have with regards to Heron. One thing that Scala has, as do other successful languages, is the ability to seamlessly integrate with an existing popular language (in Scala's case, it is Java). In that vein I have decided to make Heron completely compatible with C++, and I have decided to release the next version of Heron with a very large standard library culled from Boost, STLSoft, wxWidgets, and my own OOTL.

I think that by making sure that Heron has a powerful standard library, it could contribute significantly to its success in the future.

The main selling point of the new Heron is going to be structural subtyping (see the BIL for more information on what I mean by this), and Programming with Contract support. After this there will just be a long list of niceties, which amount primarily to syntactic sugar. However, I think syntactic sugar can still be important, after all most of C++ is in fact synactic sugar for C.

The next Heron release may be slightly less arousing to the language hobbyists, but hopefully I will be able to provide programmers with a truly useful tool which enables them to more quickly develop efficient and correct software.

Now would be a great time to put forth features you would like to see in the next Heron.

Swaroop C H

Nickname: g2swaroop

Re: Rethinking the Next Heron Release Posted: Jul 1, 2005 11:00 PM
Excellent!

I've not looked at Heron yet (but I've been following your blog) but your proposal of making it compatible with C++ _and_ "very large standard library culled from Boost, STLSoft, wxWidgets, and my own OOT" is excellent. That is the right combination for an underdog language :)

Maybe you can position Heron as a static Python or static Ruby. Heh.

Christopher Diggins

Nickname: cdiggins

Re: Rethinking the Next Heron Release Posted: Jul 2, 2005 11:06 AM
> Excellent!
>
> I've not looked at Heron yet (but I've been following your
> blog) but your proposal of making it compatible with C++
> _and_ "very large standard library culled from Boost,
> STLSoft, wxWidgets, and my own OOT" is excellent. That is
> the right combination for an underdog language :)

Thank you :-)

> Maybe you can position Heron as a static Python or static
> Ruby. Heh.

That sums up my goals very nicely, thanks Swaroop! I hope you won't mind if I quote you at some point in the future?

Swaroop C H

Nickname: g2swaroop

Re: Rethinking the Next Heron Release Posted: Jul 2, 2005 8:24 PM
> > Maybe you can position Heron as a static Python or
> static
> > Ruby. Heh.
>
> That sums up my goals very nicely, thanks Swaroop! I hope
> you won't mind if I quote you at some point in the future?

Ha ha, please feel free to do so :)

Flat View: This topic has 3 replies on 1 page
Topic: Biscuit : A Parser Framework Based on YARD Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: JavaOne 2005, Day 2: Hitting the Jackpot!

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use