The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Weblogs Forum
High Performance Dynamic Typing in C++

2 replies on 1 page. Most recent reply: Aug 8, 2005 3:35 PM by Christopher Diggins

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 2 replies on 1 page
Christopher Diggins

Nickname: cdiggins

High Performance Dynamic Typing in C++ (View in Weblogs)
Posted: Aug 8, 2005 3:35 PM
Reply to this message Reply
Summary
Inspired by Kevlin Henney's boost::any variant type I have written a high performance alternative called cdiggins::any.
Advertisement
I've come up with what so far appears to be a a very robust and extremely fast alternative to boost::any. My preliminary tests have shown a speed up of 40x under certain circumstances.

I have published my code along with a brief article at here at CodeProject.com.

I wrote this type so that I could have top performance in dynamically typed code produced by the Heron to C++ translator I am writing. Hopefully others will find it useful as well.

Mike Capp

Nickname: mikecapp

Re: High Performance Dynamic Typing in C++ Posted: Aug 10, 2005 5:11 AM
1. CodeProject link is broken - should be http://www.codeproject.com/cpp/dynamic_typing.asp ?

2. Code shown in the article claims to be under the Boost license rather than public domain - can you clarify?

cheers
Mike

Christopher Diggins

Nickname: cdiggins

Re: High Performance Dynamic Typing in C++ Posted: Aug 10, 2005 6:35 AM
> 1. CodeProject link is broken - should be
> http://www.codeproject.com/cpp/dynamic_typing.asp ?

Yes thank you.

> 2. Code shown in the article claims to be under the Boost
> license rather than public domain - can you clarify?
>
> cheers
> Mike

It started off as public domain, but then Pablo Aguilar made some changes, and we decided to copy the existing boost::any interface. Because we have lifted the boost interface almost verbatim, we are bound by the boost license. We are plannining on submitting the new version to Boost.

Sorry, for any inconvenience.

Flat View: This topic has 2 replies on 1 page
Topic: Generics Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: Designing the Heron Standard Library

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use