The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Weblogs Forum
Representing Units of Measure

15 replies on 2 pages. Most recent reply: Sep 27, 2005 1:30 PM by Max Lybbert

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 15 replies on 2 pages [ « | 1 2 ]
Max Lybbert

Nickname: mlybbert

Re: Representing Units of Measure Posted: Sep 27, 2005 1:30 PM
Reply to this message Reply
Advertisement
/* The reason for this approach is that something like cm or percent is only meaningful when given a device context (like a screen or bitmap or printer). So only when you actually draw it, can you convert it to some kind of universal type. One of my requirements is that I want to be able to store paths as variables, independant of the context. This way when the context changes (for instance when the window is resized) I can simply go back and redraw the path.
*/

That makes a ton of sense, and it's exactly how I understood the original post -- except for the fact that my proposed solution wouldn't permit that.

I don't know what experience you have with GNOME/GTK, but on Linux their buttons resize based on the size of the window. Of course everybody's familiar with how websites are elastic, if the designer (or the designer's software) doesn't go through extra work to muck that up.

/* In the HeronScript implementation every window has a "path" which represents a series of vector commands. What is cool about this approach, is that I can convert it to another format (XML, SVG, Bitmap, Metafile) very easily, or zoom in, or rotate or whatever, while still using the same core set of drawing operations.
*/

That's a nice perk.

Flat View: This topic has 15 replies on 2 pages [ « | 1  2 ]
Topic: Too Much Threading Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: Are Confirmation Dialogs Harmful?

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use