The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Weblogs Forum
Thinking in Java 4e

30 replies on 3 pages. Most recent reply: May 13, 2008 8:15 AM by Frank O'Connor

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 30 replies on 3 pages [ 1 2 3 | » ]
Bruce Eckel

Nickname: beckel

Thinking in Java 4e (View in Weblogs)
Posted: Feb 5, 2006 10:05 PM
Reply to this message Reply
Summary
I've put up the page for Thinking in Java, fourth edition. On it you can find a sample including the first 7 chapters, the source code and installation instructions, and links to sites which are taking orders for the book.
Advertisement

The book will be available in stores mid-February, but you can preorder it now.

Here's the link to the information page.

This has taken me over 1.5 years to complete, more time than the original took to write. The coverage of Java SE5 consumed a significant amount of that time, but I also think this is significantly better than any work that I've done in the past.

You can find more discussion about the development of the book in the preface and introduction of the sample download.

James Watson

Nickname: watson

Flashpoint: references Posted: Feb 6, 2006 6:27 AM
(see footnote pg. 41) One thing that I always point out about this argument about references pointers and the like is that the JLs actually states explicitly that the value of a reference is a pointer.

ibrahim ALShehri

Nickname: ibh3000

Re: Thinking in Java 4e Posted: Feb 6, 2006 6:37 AM
thanks u bruce

but what about the complete e-book

when will it be ready ?

David Roth

Nickname: krelian

Re: Thinking in Java 4e Posted: Feb 6, 2006 8:26 AM
I don't think there is going to be a complete Ebook (not a free one at least). I would be interested though in hearing Bruce's comments about his reasoning for abandoning this model (if this is in fact the case).

Tony Vance

Nickname: tonyvance

Re: Thinking in Java 4e Posted: Feb 6, 2006 2:20 PM
This is what is stated in the preface of the 4e:

"For various reasons, I have decided not to provide the current edition of the book in free electronic form, but only the prior editions." (Preface, pg. 2)

Jeff Heon

Nickname: jfheon

Re: Thinking in Java 4e Posted: Feb 6, 2006 2:49 PM
Well, we can be grateful for all the previous free electronic editions and of the free part of the current edition.

I bought first edition long ago and have been relying on the electronic version of the following editions.

I don't really program in Java anymore, but if I get back into it, especially in Java 1.5, I'll buy the new edition.

I respect Bruce decision and I thank him for his precious contributions.

Thank you Bruce!

suradha periyardhasan

Nickname: greatoops

Re: Thinking in Java 4e Posted: Feb 8, 2006 6:35 AM
Please let me know when will the book published in India. I am very indebted to you for having written such great books on c++ and java.

david gerber

Nickname: gerbdla

Re: Thinking in Java 4e Posted: Feb 8, 2006 11:34 AM
does anyone know why I am getting his error? I looked all over the web and couldn't find anything concrete.

import com.bruceeckel.simpletest.*; does not exist

dcloninger

Nickname: dcloninger

Re: Thinking in Java 4e Posted: Feb 9, 2006 7:14 AM
I guess Bruce needs to remove this page titled "Why do you put your books on the Web? How can you make any money that way?" from his website:

http://mindview.net/FAQ/FAQ-010

He did such a great job explaining why he did put his books on the web... but only a "For various reasons" comment on his decision not to release this one.

Rafael Ferreira

Nickname: rafaeldff

Re: Thinking in Java 4e Posted: Feb 10, 2006 8:44 AM
Congratulations on the hard work. I have a small complaint, though. Given that Java is already on it's 5th version, I believe that many prospective readers will be interested in buying the book to keep themselves up to date on the language's features. In this case, the selection of sample chapters isn't very useful, since they only conver the basics that have remained unchanged since the early versions.

Just my 2 cents.

Bob Beerbower

Nickname: bob5820

Re: Thinking in Java 4e Posted: Feb 13, 2006 2:31 AM
I've got to disagree. I believe that the sample chapters do illustrate the direction that Bruce is taking TIJ. While the subject matter presented in the sample is the same as has been covered in the previous editions, the manner in which it is presented has been rethought. I've been comparing some of that material side by side with TIJ3 (downloaded version)and find that TIJ4 is far easier to follow. I just seems to have a natural flow that TIJ3 did not. If taken from the perspective of trying to show how the form of the latest edition will be different from past editions, then the content of the sample chapters makes sense. I found the sample chapters impressive enough to pre order the book

Bob Beerbower

Re: Thinking in Java 4e Posted: Feb 14, 2006 2:09 PM
> does anyone know why I am getting his error? I looked all
> over the web and couldn't find anything concrete.
>
> import com.bruceeckel.simpletest.*; does not exist

David, are you using the source from TIJ3 or 4. I believe that in 4 the utiliies are now in the net.mindview. package. If you are using the TIJ3 source did you compile the com.bruceekel package. I know that when using ANT to compile TIJ3 source the build will choke if you are using JDK 1.5 (it's expecting 1.4)

Xiaoguang Ning

Nickname: frankman

Re: Thinking in Java 4e Posted: Feb 23, 2006 5:41 PM
Finally I got my book ordered from the web:-) I really hope the solution guide (when available) will be free for people who bought the guide for the 3rd edition. And looking forward to seeing the new Hands-On CD.

Bob Beerbower

Re: Thinking in Java 4e Posted: Feb 28, 2006 11:15 AM
Received my copy of TIJ4 yesterday from amazon. Bigger then I thought it would be. I'm also wondering about the solution guide, I purchased the 3rd edition, and the CD, I believe that I had purchased the2nd edition.

Bruce Eckel

Nickname: beckel

Re: Thinking in Java 4e Posted: Feb 28, 2006 3:24 PM
> Received my copy of TIJ4 yesterday from amazon. Bigger
> then I thought it would be. I'm also wondering about the
> solution guide, I purchased the 3rd edition, and the CD, I
> believe that I had purchased the2nd edition.

Yeah, it was bigger than I thought it would be, too. And that was after removing chapters.

I'm currently working on the final edit pass of the solution guide. Also, the downloadable version of Thinking in C, this time in Flash. After that I'll be working on the Hands-On Java 4 CD (also in Flash); I expect that to be a big job but I'm doing everything I can to streamline it.

Flat View: This topic has 30 replies on 3 pages [ 1  2  3 | » ]
Topic: Thinking in Java 4e Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: JavaOne 2008, Day Three: Riding the Rails

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use