The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Weblogs Forum
The Backside of an Interface

46 replies on 4 pages. Most recent reply: Mar 6, 2006 7:33 AM by piglet

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 46 replies on 4 pages [ « | 1 2 3 4 ]
piglet

Nickname: piglet

Re: Vade retro satanas ;-) Posted: Mar 6, 2006 6:29 AM
Reply to this message Reply
Advertisement
"Interfaces were meant to be replaceable. But there's no restriction on its interaction with the rest of the system. That's the real problem. If it does interact with the rest of the system, then you may as well not use an interface because you can't use any other implementation anyhow."

I have never seen a useful piece of code that didn't "interact with the rest of the system". Quite frankly, I don't know what you pretend to be talking about.

piglet

Nickname: piglet

Writing correct code Posted: Mar 6, 2006 7:33 AM
Reply to this message Reply
"The problem is the not caring part. Eventually, a programmer will come around who does care and has to maintain these wires. If they're anywhere near as interwined as the wires behind my computer, I pity the fool."

If your point is that unnecessary coupling of components should be avoided because it makes maintenance a nightmare, that's an old hat. If your point is that implementation code may contain bugs and needs to be maintained, no arguing with that. What I object to is you and Diggins
* giving up the interface/implementation paradigm, and
* pretending to have just identified a new problem in software engineering that nobody else has ever thought about - "the back interface problem" - which is really nothing else but the basic challenge of our trade: writing correct code.

Flat View: This topic has 46 replies on 4 pages [ « | 1  2  3  4 ]
Topic: Java Posse Interview part 2 Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: Are There No Decent Mailing List Programs?

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use