The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Weblogs Forum
Library or Framework?

33 replies on 3 pages. Most recent reply: Sep 21, 2010 4:33 AM by Naeem Akram

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 33 replies on 3 pages [ « | 1 2 3 ]
Werner Schulz

Nickname: werner

Re: Library or Framework? Posted: Mar 21, 2006 7:31 PM
Reply to this message Reply
Advertisement
Framework implies that your applications sits inside the framework, while a library provides functionality to be used (not re-used!). In the former, you're not in control, in the latter. you can pick and choose and remain in control.

Callbacks are also used in library code (and are useful) but it is on a much smaller scale than in a framework.

Tom Brazier

Nickname: wibble

Re: Library or Framework? Posted: Mar 23, 2006 3:33 PM
Having read the above, I suspect the word "framework" is a little overloaded and is covering several different definitions. To clarify, I'd be very interested to know how many people would agree/disagree with the following statement:

You may have many libraries per application, but you'd generally only have one framework.

Michael Schneider

Nickname: schneider

Re: Library or Framework? Posted: Apr 5, 2006 5:52 AM
Tom,

I don't know, It would depend on how many domains your applicatoin covers.

There may be one primary framework per domain.

Example: We have:

- GUI framework
- Scripting framework
- Web App framework
- 3d geometry framework

Naeem Akram

Nickname: nakram

Re: Library or Framework? Posted: Sep 21, 2010 4:33 AM
Software Framework: Is a re-usable design for a software system (or subsystem). A software framework may include programs, code libraries, a scripting language, other software to help develop and glue together the different components of a software project. Various parts of the framework maybe exposed through an API.

API (Application Programming Interface): Is a set of routines( AKA methods, functions), data structures, object classes, and/or protocols provided by libraries and/or operating system services in order to support the building of applications.

More details along with other interesting tech topics are given on my blog
http://aprogrammersday.blogspot.com
Link to this particular topic is
http://aprogrammersday.blogspot.com/2009/02/difference-between-framework-and-api.html

Flat View: This topic has 33 replies on 3 pages [ « | 1  2  3 ]
Topic: The Autoproxy Plugin - Part I Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: ScalaTest Matchers Preview

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use