The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Weblogs Forum
Need A Distribution Site for "Thinking in C"

6 replies on 1 page. Most recent reply: May 19, 2006 9:59 AM by Pradeep C

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 6 replies on 1 page
Bruce Eckel

Nickname: beckel

Need A Distribution Site for "Thinking in C" (View in Weblogs)
Posted: Mar 27, 2006 5:00 PM
Reply to this message Reply
Summary
I'm now ready to beta test the "Thinking in C: Foundations for Java and C++" e-seminar, but I need a place that can handle the downloads.
Advertisement

Currently, the download is 164 MB. This will improve when the audio can be converted from stereo to mono (there's a bug in the early edition of Flash 8.5 which is required to run the e-seminar), but it's still a bigger download and will, I suspect, require more transfer capability than any server I have.

It's a free download, and will be licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.5 license, so I'm looking for some kind of public service site to do this.

I originally had high hopes for OurMedia, but I've tried numerous times to upload the file, which it seems to do successfully, but then it never appears at the URL that the upload software says it will appear. I've tried several times to contact them about the problem but have been ignored, so I'm giving up on them.

SourceForge would be ideal, but it doesn't look to me like this project would work under their system (it's free, but not really open source). I've also tried asking them about it but got no response. If someone knows that it would be legitimate for SourceForge, please let me know.

Thanks for any pointers -- as soon as I find a home I'll announce the beta for those who want to try it out.

Julio Aguilar

Nickname: madth3

Re: Need A Distribution Site for "Thinking in C" Posted: Mar 27, 2006 5:26 PM
Have you thought of a P2P distribution? (Meaning: Bittorrent could be a great way of distributing the load. Example, I couldn't handle the load of hosting the file itself but I would seed this file.)

Kirby Files

Nickname: ksfiles

Re: Need A Distribution Site for "Thinking in C" Posted: Mar 27, 2006 7:42 PM
Following up on the previous comment, a provider like Prodigem might be a perfect way to leverage BitTorrent without the hassle. I noticed them when Professor Lessig used them to host some of his CC presentations.

They would seem to be a good fit for you -- they handle the torrent creation and seeding, allow only CC content, and are either free or cheap, depending on your seeding bandwidth needs.

http://prodigem.com/

--kirby

Bruce Eckel

Re: Need A Distribution Site for "Thinking in C" Posted: Mar 28, 2006 10:18 AM
Thanks for the ideas. I'm hesitant to use anything with an additional level of indirection, because of the number of novices who would have trouble with it (you might or might not be surprised at some of the emails I get when something isn't absolutely transparent). But I'll keep P2P as a possibility.

I googled around a little and found a service (via a google adword) called StoreAndServe.com which I'm uploading to, and which might solve the problem.

Kirby Files

Nickname: ksfiles

Re: Need A Distribution Site for "Thinking in C" Posted: Mar 28, 2006 1:34 PM
Not to be an Arrogant Bas*&%d, but if someone is interesting in hacking in C, and doing things like installing compilers and writing Makefiles, shouldn't they be capable of following a link to download a BitTorrent client?

But I see your point. Downloading additional software just to download a seminar on writing software does seem a bit redundant... :)

--kirby

Bruce Eckel

Re: Need A Distribution Site for "Thinking in C" Posted: Mar 28, 2006 3:30 PM
They're interested in learning it, but not experienced already. Although many people can handle the issues of downloading and installing things, sometimes small issues trip a few of them up. My goal is to get no tech support emails.

Pradeep C

Nickname: cpradeep

Re: Need A Distribution Site for "Thinking in C" Posted: May 19, 2006 9:59 AM
I can host it on my website for you but I can provide only 30GB of traffic per month (that is all what I got). If you think it would help, drop me a mail pc@pradeepc.net

Flat View: This topic has 6 replies on 1 page
Topic: Need A Distribution Site for "Thinking in C" Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: Binary Compatible Versus Open Source Java

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use