The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Weblogs Forum
Adding wsgiref to the Python 2.5 Standard Library

8 replies on 1 page. Most recent reply: May 4, 2006 10:25 AM by Armin Ronacher

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 8 replies on 1 page
Guido van van Rossum

Nickname: guido

Adding wsgiref to the Python 2.5 Standard Library (View in Weblogs)
Posted: Apr 28, 2006 11:47 AM
Reply to this message Reply
Summary
Hopefully this isn't as controversial as adding setuptools. :-) Comments to python-dev and/or web-sig at python dot org, please.
Advertisement

PEP 333 specifies WSGI, the Python Web Server Gateway Interface v1.0; it's written by Phillip Eby who put a lot of effort in it to make it acceptable to very diverse web frameworks. The PEP has been well received by web framework makers and users.

As a supplement to the PEP, Phillip has written a reference implementation, wsgiref. I don't know how many people have used wsgiref; I'm using it myself for an intranet webserver and am very happy with it.

I believe that it would be a good idea to add wsgiref to the Python standard library, after some minor cleanups such as removing the extra blank lines that Phillip puts in his code. Having standard library support will remove the last reason web framework developers might have to resist adopting WSGI, and the resulting standardization will help web framework users.

Last time this was brought up there were feature requests and discussion on how "industrial strength" the webserver in wsgiref ought to be but nothing like the flamefest that setuptools caused (no comments please).

I'm inviting people to discuss the addition of wsgiref to the standard library. I'd like the discussion to be finished before Python 2.5a3 goes out; technically it can go in up till the 2.5b1 code freeze, but I don't really want to push it that close. I'd like the focus of the discussion to be "what are the risks of adding wsgiref to the stdlib"; not "what could we think of that's even better". Achieving a perfect decision is not the goal; having general consensus that adding it is better than not adding is would be good. Pointing out specific bugs in wsgiref and suggesting how they ought to be fixed is also welcome.

PS. To get wsgiref via anonymous SVN: svn://svn.eby-sarna.com/svnroot/wsgiref

Eugene Lazutkin

Nickname: elazutkin

Re: Adding wsgiref to the Python 2.5 Standard Library Posted: Apr 28, 2006 12:03 PM
+1 on this: I use Django with WSGI for a long time now and I am happy with it.

LC Rees

Nickname: lcrees

Re: Adding wsgiref to the Python 2.5 Standard Library Posted: Apr 28, 2006 4:40 PM
+1

Reinout van Rees

Nickname: reinout

Re: Adding wsgiref to the Python 2.5 Standard Library Posted: Apr 29, 2006 12:52 AM
The name, the name... My first reaction was "Is Guido posting about web services?". There are a lot of weblog posts contra SOAP-based web services with things like "Putting the ws-cart in front of the ws-horse"; the web services standards itself have names like "ws-secure", "ws-authentication", "ws-transport".

"swgiref" reminded me immediately of a misspelled "ws-grief".

So I'm hoping it 'll end up in the standard lib as just "swgi" :-)

Bertrand Mansion

Nickname: golgote

Re: Adding wsgiref to the Python 2.5 Standard Library Posted: Apr 29, 2006 1:20 AM
I understand what you would like to do but I don't understand your motivations (despite you are using wsgiref and it works well for you). Could you please elaborate on this ?

Bertrand Mansion

Nickname: golgote

Re: Adding wsgiref to the Python 2.5 Standard Library Posted: Apr 29, 2006 1:31 AM
After looking at wsgiref (couldn't access the link you give, server is not responding. Does it use wsgiref...), I think a more complete solution is needed, something that at least provides a unified and extensible way to deal with sessions, get, post and cookie variables. So -1 from me at the moment.
Flup[1] looks like a better candidate.

[1]: http://svn.saddi.com/flup/trunk

Phillip J. Eby

Nickname: pje

Re: Adding wsgiref to the Python 2.5 Standard Library Posted: Apr 29, 2006 10:53 AM
> I think a more complete solution is needed, something that
> at least provides a unified and extensible way to deal
> with sessions, get, post and cookie variables.

I think you're confusing including wsgiref with the stdlib blessing a web framework. Guido has already said he's just not going to do the latter. The idea of having wsgiref is to have a *reference* implementation of useful tools for working with the WSGI protocol. Some of these tools are framework-like in the sense that it's intended for people to subclass them. However, they do not constitute a web framework in the sense of defining interlocking classes and conventions; they are simply subclassable standalone tools.

> Flup[1] looks like a better candidate.

I'm open to expanding wsgiref, as per current discussion on the Web-SIG about including a simple demo resolver or two. Sophisticated production-class resolvers like those in Paste, Routes, and Flup are out of scope, though, because the point is to emphasize simple, correct, and (ideally) extensible code.

Looking at Flup, I would say that if the author wants to contribute the "gzip" and "error" middleware components, clean them up to follow stdlib naming conventions, and make a couple of tweaks to improve extensibility (mainly allowing subclasses to use something besides smtplib.SMTP to send mail), I'd be happy to have them in wsgiref.

Philipp Keller

Nickname: phred

Re: Adding wsgiref to the Python 2.5 Standard Library Posted: Apr 30, 2006 8:22 AM
+1 this would be very nice. I just started using web.py with wsgi and it would have made the installation process quicker.. (for me as a newbie that makes a difference..)

Armin Ronacher

Nickname: mitsuhiko

Re: Adding wsgiref to the Python 2.5 Standard Library Posted: May 4, 2006 10:25 AM
+1 for something with WSGI :-)
-1 for WSGIref.

A standalone WSGI Server implementation shouldn't be longer than 300 LOC imho. Paste has got a small WSGI Server, there is this WSGIUtils (hope the name is correct) server and afaik some others like my test wsgi server implementation: http://trac.pocoo.org/repos/sandbox/BaseWSGIServer.py

And maybe the CGI gateway from the pep too.

And maybe a "wsgi" package providing some comfort functions like a CgitbMiddleware and methods for parsing form data like in the cgi package. I known that you can use the cgi functions with wsgi too, but you have to grep the informations out of the wsgi environ yourself. Some small helper functions would be nice.

IMHO just two small Modules `BaseWSGIServer` (according to other servers) for the WSGIServer and a `wsgi` package for utility functions would be better :)

Flat View: This topic has 8 replies on 1 page
Topic: Adding wsgiref to the Python 2.5 Standard Library Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: How Useful Are Code Metrics?

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use