The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Weblogs Forum
Looking for Memories of Python Old-Timers

54 replies on 55 pages. Most recent reply: Jan 3, 2008 9:50 PM by Sharmila Gopirajan Sivakumar

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 54 replies on 55 pages [ « | 1 ... 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 ... 55  | » ]
Ka-Ping Yee

Nickname: ping

Re: Looking for Memories of Python Old-Timers Posted: Jun 5, 2006 3:33 PM
Reply to this message Reply
Advertisement
I'm going to add another favourite Python story that i forgot to include in my first comment.

A couple of years after i first learned Python, i took a software engineering class as part of my engineering degree at the University of Waterloo. The purpose of the class was to teach us how to manage and complete a large software project, so large that it would require multiple people to develop and would require some advance planning and project management to get it done on time. The project we were assigned was to develop a PBX — a telephone exchange with twenty phones that could dial each other, a limited number of touchtone receivers for decoding the dialed touchtone sounds, and a limited number of audio channels to be allocated for connecting phone calls. The job of the PBX was to keep track of the states of the various phones and to connect them to the touchtone receivers and channels, produce busy signals when necessary, and so on.

This project was supposed to be implemented in C++ and to take about four weeks to be developed by a team of three or four programmers. I asked for permission to work on the project in a two-person group, with my friend Tyler Close. I was by this point convinced that it was a good idea to program just about anything in Python, and managed to persuade Tyler that we should prototype the PBX in Python even though he wasn't that familiar with it and even though we would eventually have to do it in C++.

We got together one afternoon to work on the project. We decided what we needed to do, divided the project up into modules, and started coding. Tyler picked up Python fast — very fast. Three hours later, we had a complete working implementation. We translated the Python script into C++ almost trivially, line for line, and we were finished. I had expected working in Python to be fast, but even so i was amazed that we were already done. Just like that, my plans to work on the project for the rest of the four weeks vanished.

I just went through some old files and found the Python program, with its Tkinter GUI for testing and dialing the phones, and it still just works today.

I still recall that project as one of my most productive and pleasant programming experiences ever. Unfortunately, we failed to learn anything about managing a long-term project because the project was already done before we had a chance to do any project management. :)

Thank you, Guido, for this and many, many other productive and pleasant programming experiences!

Flat View: This topic has 54 replies on 55 pages [ « | 35  36  37  38  39  40  41  42  43 | » ]
Topic: Looking for Memories of Python Old-Timers Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: The Third State of your Binary JUnit Tests

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use