The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Weblogs Forum
Looking for Memories of Python Old-Timers

54 replies on 55 pages. Most recent reply: Jan 3, 2008 9:50 PM by Sharmila Gopirajan Sivakumar

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 54 replies on 55 pages [ « | 1 ... 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 ... 55  | » ]
Wolfi Grafen

Nickname: spalbird

Re: Looking for Memories of Python Old-Timers Posted: Jun 7, 2006 6:01 AM
Reply to this message Reply
Advertisement
In 1996 funny enough it was Perl I didn't know at all which brought me to learning Python. Having bought a Perl O'Reilly book I realised after one week that it was about Perl 1.4 but not the new version Perl 1.5. I returned it to the book store and asked to order the new one. I looked around and discovered under another copy of that Perl book "Das Python Buch" published by Addison-Wesley. I browsed through it and fell immidiately in love with that language whose syntax looked much more familiary to me than the Unix script based language Perl. Fortunately it was easy to read and understand during the 10 minutes bus drives in the morning. No surprise I sticked with Python until today.

In the beginning I was promoting Python for our work. There was a strong opposition against Python - We use TCL and Perl but nobody uses Python - Most of our scripts are Perl - Python is inferior to Perl and so on. After I gave up and used Python only for my own problem solvings more and more people in other departments began programming in Python. I helped another collegue how to solve his communicating problems with an embedded controller. He restraining using Python years ago is now so enthusiastic that even his 10 year old son got "Python for Kids" as a Christmas present. His Python programs are also reaching some other departments of our company.

Just recently - Python hit our group!!! Our system administrator substituted his commercial family tree program with a Python equivalent. This was enough reason for him to learn Python. After some time he prefered writing our scripts in Python instead of Perl. Recently we rewrote one of his Perl programs relying heavily on external Unix commands completely in Python - cutting its execution time from tree minutes to five seconds. Recently working in a mixed Sun/Solaris and Intel/Redhat environment some of the old scripts show ugly errors which can be easily avoided with rewriting them in pure Python. Also my collegues ask our Sysop for help with their problems. He shows how to solve them in Python - and they are starting reading Python books as well.

In the end - 10 years after my Python promotion - Python is settling in our group. Collegues outside my group are using Python for years now - we are the last. It is not exactly a success story for me.

Flat View: This topic has 54 replies on 55 pages [ « | 38  39  40  41  42  43  44  45  46 | » ]
Topic: Looking for Memories of Python Old-Timers Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: The Third State of your Binary JUnit Tests

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use