The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Weblogs Forum
Back at OOPSLA

48 replies on 4 pages. Most recent reply: Mar 29, 2007 9:25 AM by Isaac Gouy

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 48 replies on 4 pages [ « | 1 2 3 4 ]
Todd Blanchard

Nickname: tblanchard

Re: Back at OOPSLA Posted: Nov 1, 2006 3:53 PM
Reply to this message Reply
Advertisement
> You know, this rhetoric doesn't really contribute to a
> meaningful debate.

Point taken. But Stroustrup has saddled the industry with 15 years of bad ideas and unverifiable dogma about programming that persists to this day. The culture transferred to the C# and Java communities. There hasn't been any meaningful argument with these folks for a long time so I don't feel like I'm missing much of an opportunity.

James Watson

Nickname: watson

Re: Back at OOPSLA Posted: Nov 1, 2006 5:00 PM
I've only recently made a foray into the world of dynamic languages. Some of the things you touched upon such as a universal message forwarding seem very interesting but I lack the experience to know how to use it effectively. This isn't the best place to mentor people but explaining how this feature solves problems would be very helpful to me. And I enjoy a honest open-minded debate immensely. I'd like to learn more about why you think these are bad ideas. 'Bring it on', as one might say.

Todd Blanchard

Nickname: tblanchard

Re: Back at OOPSLA Posted: Nov 1, 2006 6:58 PM
I have a number of essays here:
http://blackbagops.net

Isaac Gouy

Nickname: igouy

Re: Back at OOPSLA Posted: Mar 29, 2007 9:25 AM
Todd Blanchard wrote
> Kay also originated the oft-repeated quote: "I invented
> the term Object-Oriented, and I can tell you I did not
> have C++ in mind."

afaict from watching the Google video of Alan Kay's OOPSLA 1997 keynote, it would be more accurate to say the oft-repeated selective quotation.

I think we get a better sense of Alan Kay's perspective when we allow the rest of his comment to be seen:

"Actually I made up the term object-oriented and I can tell you I did not have C++ in mind. The important thing here is that I have many of the same feelings about Smalltalk ..."

Flat View: This topic has 48 replies on 4 pages [ « | 1  2  3  4 ]
Topic: Back at OOPSLA Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: What's on Your Java Learning List?

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use