The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Weblogs Forum
Windows Vista

30 replies on 3 pages. Most recent reply: Aug 7, 2007 9:32 AM by ahmed seleem

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 30 replies on 3 pages [ « | 1 2 3 | » ]
Vincent O'Sullivan

Nickname: vincent

Re: Puhhlllleeeezze Posted: Feb 11, 2007 2:56 AM
Reply to this message Reply
Advertisement
> Its a lot
> better over here in Mac land. Everything just works, the
> programming tools rock, and its Unix man.

Installed Vista last week. It just works. Downloaded the 60 trial version of Office 2007. It just works. Better still, it comes without the relentless obsession to tell everyone else they're got it wrong all the time.

Roger Voss

Nickname: rogerv

Re: Windows Vista Posted: Feb 13, 2007 5:49 PM
You should have been nice to your dad and bought him a Mac dual core Mac Mini with 2GB RAM and a 2 machine KVM (and perhaps a nice wide screen LCD monitor). Then a copy of Microsoft Office for OS X.

He'd had backward compatibility to anything still of value on his old PC and then the shear pleasure of Mac OS X.

The remarkable thing about OS X is it delivers on the eye candy ala Vista - but can run very well on Mac Mini hardware.

The Mac Mini is a huge testament as to just how efficient OS X Tiger is vs. Windows Vista.

P.S. As a long time Windows Office user I've had no problem at all using Office for Mac OS X.

Todd Blanchard

Nickname: tblanchard

Re: SVN Posted: Feb 13, 2007 9:38 PM
> It must be painful to work in a fugly, slow Squeak on OSX.
> I'll take Dolphin (Windows only) over that any day of the
> e week.

Squeak isn't slow. Fugly is in the eye of the beholder for sure. All my work is web apps using seaside. And all the really cool new stuff gets developed on the open source platform. Imagine that.

Plus - no windows virii.

Be Happy. I am.

Joe Cheng

Nickname: jcheng

Re: Windows Vista Posted: Feb 14, 2007 3:33 PM
Roger, a dual core Mac Mini with 2GB RAM would easily be fast enough to run Vista. In fact, due to its slow laptop hard drive, Vista would probably feel a lot faster than Windows XP.

(Sigh... Mac vs. PC debates even on Artima now. Once they start appearing in Autoblog.com comments, they will have pervaded every corner of my online life.)

David Olszewski

Nickname: daveroski

Re: Windows Vista Posted: Feb 15, 2007 4:18 AM
Hello,

I am an avid eBay seller and built a nice machine with Windows Vista. My problem is that java does not load 100% when I attempt to print international labels through PayPal. Has anyone else run into this using Java 6 ? It is very frustrating to have to go to another xp machine in the house to do a simple task.

David

Dick Ford

Nickname: roybatty

Re: SVN Posted: Feb 16, 2007 12:06 AM
> > It must be painful to work in a fugly, slow Squeak on
> OSX.
> > I'll take Dolphin (Windows only) over that any day of
> the
> > e week.
>
> Squeak isn't slow.

I beg to differ

> Fugly is in the eye of the beholder for sure.

Once again, there's a huge thread on the squeak-dev list about improving the way squeak looks. http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/squeak-dev/2007-February/thread.html
"Making Squeak More Accessible and Used"

> All my work is web apps using seaside. And all
> the really cool new stuff gets developed on the open
> source platform. Imagine that.
>

Is that like all the cool kids are doing it? And last time I checked OSX wasn't open source.

> Plus - no windows virii.
>
> Be Happy. I am.

No windows "virii" for me. Having a Unix background, I'll probably pick up a Mac eventually, but I'll have to pass on the reality distortion field.

Todd Blanchard

Re: SVN Posted: Feb 16, 2007 12:37 PM
> > Squeak isn't slow.
>
> I beg to differ

Beg all you like. It is plenty fast. Exupery, which is getting close to giving us an inlining JIT, is looking really nice - recent benchmarks are running in about 1/3 the time.

> > Fugly is in the eye of the beholder for sure.
>
> Once again, there's a huge thread on the squeak-dev list
> about improving the way squeak looks.

Yep, I didn't say it looks pretty and I'm not too happy with Morphic. But I don't care, it works well enough.

> > All my work is web apps using seaside. And all
> > the really cool new stuff gets developed on the open
> > source platform. Imagine that.
>
> Is that like all the cool kids are doing it? And last
> time I checked OSX wasn't open source.

Deliberately misunderstanding things makes you look stupid. The underlying OS is irrelevant. Squeak is open source and runs the same everywhere. Linux, OS X, Windows, Solaris, whatever... I develop on a Mac and deploy to Linux machines.

Dolphin is only windows (which I will never ever run), doesn't run Seaside, and all the cool research stuff like Magritte, Pier, Seaside, Exupery, Croquet, Sophie, is happening on Squeak because it is 1) open source and 2) platform agnostic.

Dick Ford

Re: SVN Posted: Feb 16, 2007 6:28 PM
> > > Squeak isn't slow.
> >
> > I beg to differ
>
> Beg all you like. It is plenty fast. Exupery, which is
> getting close to giving us an inlining JIT, is looking
> really nice - recent benchmarks are running in about 1/3
> the time.
>

It's not just the VM. It's the whole UI paradigm where everything relies on a ultra-portable BitBlt. Now with Vista out, it's even more evident how backwards-ass Squeak is.

> > > Fugly is in the eye of the beholder for sure.
> >
> > Once again, there's a huge thread on the squeak-dev
> list
> > about improving the way squeak looks.
>
> Yep, I didn't say it looks pretty and I'm not too happy
> with Morphic. But I don't care, it works well enough.
>

Apparently it doesn't work well enough for many others in the Squeak community.

> > > All my work is web apps using seaside. And all
> > > the really cool new stuff gets developed on the open
> > > source platform. Imagine that.
> >
> > Is that like all the cool kids are doing it? And last
> > time I checked OSX wasn't open source.
>
> Deliberately misunderstanding things makes you look
> stupid. The underlying OS is irrelevant. Squeak is open
> source and runs the same everywhere. Linux, OS X,
> Windows, Solaris, whatever... I develop on a Mac and
> deploy to Linux machines.
>

You said "open source platform", and what makes *you* look stupid is when you run around saying everything is coming back to Smalltalk (yes, you said it in that other thread), and trying to pimp OSX...because Unix is cool.

Andrew O'Sullivan said it best:

Its a lot
better over here in Mac land. Everything just works, the
programming tools rock, and its Unix man.

Installed Vista last week. It just works. Downloaded the 60 trial version of Office 2007. It just works. Better still, it comes without the relentless obsession to tell everyone else they're got it wrong all the time.

> Dolphin is only windows (which I will never ever run),
> doesn't run Seaside,

Last time I checked, Seaside has been ported to Dolphin.

>and all the cool research stuff like
> Magritte, Pier, Seaside, Exupery, Croquet, Sophie, is
> happening on Squeak because it is 1) open source and 2)
> platform agnostic.

I don't know how cool Squeak can be when it presents itself with a Mickey Mouse interface that even many in the squeak community regard as retarded.

Alan Kay and company have another project in the works. Hopefully, it won't be a disaster like Squeak is.

Todd Blanchard

Trollin' Posted: Feb 16, 2007 11:25 PM
Pretty much what you're doing.

> the whole UI paradigm where everything relies on a ultra-portable BitBlt.
> Now with Vista out, it's even more evident how backwards-ass Squeak is.

Of course, there is that ObjectiveC bridge I helped build. http://www.squeaksource.com/ObjectiveCBridge.html You can build native UI. I don't happen to do desktop apps though. Or there is the wxSqueak http://www.wxsqueak.org/

The cool thing is we have the source, we can interface to whatever we like.

I'm not gonna bother replying to you again though - your posts are just slams and completely fact free. In fact, there seems to be something personal about it for you. I just reply for the benefits of the lurkers. I know you're never gonna get it.

Dileep Krishnan

Nickname: dileepkris

Re: Puhhlllleeeezze Posted: Feb 18, 2007 4:25 AM
Does your Mac and its OS work that well just because it is "Unix "? Read the great story about the same Mac with the same "Unix" here - http://www.charlespetzold.com/blog/blog.xml
Read the blog under the “It Just Works” heading. How great is your Mac?

Dick Ford

Re: Trollin' Posted: Feb 18, 2007 12:02 PM
> Pretty much what you're doing.
>

> I'm not gonna bother replying to you again though - your
> posts are just slams and completely fact free. In fact,
> there seems to be something personal about it for you. I
> just reply for the benefits of the lurkers. I know you're
> never gonna get it.

I'm not the only one that has noticed you're trolling. Vincent O'Sullivan and others have noticed it before. Once you grow up and realize that not everything in the world revolves around Smalltalk and OSX then you'll be able to engage in fruitful discussion.

Todd Blanchard

Petzold Posted: Feb 18, 2007 6:03 PM
> Does your Mac and its OS work that well just because it is
> "Unix "? Read the great story about the same Mac with the
> same "Unix" here

No, I don't find that at all persuasive. Anecdotes are a poor means of proof. For every Mac horror story you dig up I can dig up a success, vice versa on Windows.

If you've got some studies, stats, whatever, bring em on. But, while I have great respect for Petzold - he is a natural teacher and clear writer - he is still one data point in millions and nothing of significance can be drawn from this little story.

Nathan Barnes

Nickname: sigalig

Re: Windows Vista Posted: Feb 20, 2007 8:54 AM
> To pre-answer the usual comments: I make heavy use of
> Word, and OpenOffice doesn't support the kinds of things I
> do. So while I think Linux is great, I can't use it yet.
> And Word for the Mac is different -- unclear whether it's
> different enough that it can't do the things I need, but
> that's a serious risk.

Have you tried CrossOver Office? It's meant to run MS Office and such on Mac and Linux systems. I haven't actually used it for that, but I haven't had any problems from it in many an hour of World of Warcraft on the Linux side of my "gaming and assorted hackery" system at home.

I'm going to wait and see on Vista, myself. I'll get it when I get a new home system (unless I can get the same hardware for less money without it) or when work gives me a new system with it installed (unless I can convince them to switch me to a Mac next upgrade cycle).

Florin Jurcovici

Nickname: a0flj0

Re: Windows Vista Posted: Feb 27, 2007 7:50 AM
> I create very large documents (books) using Word. In the
> past those would crash OO, but now it seems to open them.
> However, there seem to be issues with styles and layout,
> and since that's an essential part of what I do for
> camera-ready pages, it's been prohibitive. I have hopes
> that eventually OO will handle all these things without
> problems.
>
> But for many uses, OO seems to be fine. As long as people
> remember to save in .doc format :-)

Strange. I use OOo precisely because I find its use of styles and layout more reliable and easier to use.

Not so long ago I did a document which contained a single table spread over more than 60 pages. It worked perfectly in OOo, but crashed Word when I tried to open it.

More time ago, I used Word to do a document including several other documents - very much like a book of more than 200 pages. I finally gave up, because there was no way I could get a correct TOC or a uniform formatting for all included documents.

So I cannot back your statement that Word works better than OOo for heavy duty tasks.

ahmed seleem

Nickname: ahmedrs

Re: Windows Vista => "A Great Solving" Posted: Aug 7, 2007 9:14 AM
Hi MR.Bruce,

I have a great with MAC ,choose A one or multible of them:

* you can use microsoft Office for mac.

** you can use => http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gE1XQyT_IbA&mode=related&search=

*** you can use =>
http://www.twistermc.com/blog/2007/03/11/parallels-coherence-makes-pc-apps-even-more-usable

**** or you can use NeoOffice(the openOffice based for Mac OS X) without loosing any format and lots of unique features,See it =>
http://www.twistermc.com/blog/2007/03/11/parallels-coherence-makes-pc-apps-even-more-usable

you have lots of choices with mac ....
and finally you have the great "Pages 2"!!!,take a tour => http://www.apple.com/iwork/quicktour/pages/
witch you should to use for make you books with lots of illustrating in pictures as make here in vista you can make it programming also !!! , to be more understandable,readable,and easier to recall ......,because me as an Arabic man hat the books with a very little fonts and long paragraphs ( even I love reading a lot !!! ) which I think that they are Unreadable even if it were in arabic !!!

Flat View: This topic has 30 replies on 3 pages [ « | 1  2  3 | » ]
Topic: Windows Vista Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: Port or Redesign First?

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use