The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Weblogs Forum
Artima Publishes First (e)Book

19 replies on 2 pages. Most recent reply: Aug 11, 2008 11:34 AM by Remco Bos

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 19 replies on 2 pages [ « | 1 2 ]
Eelco Hillenius

Nickname: ehillenius

Re: Artima Publishes First (e)Book Posted: Dec 20, 2007 10:13 AM
Reply to this message Reply
Advertisement
Ah, great. Will do that.

Bill Venners

Nickname: bv

Re: to DRM, or not to DRM Posted: Dec 20, 2007 10:25 AM
> You missed my point, which was precisely that technical
> controls against duplication are inevitably worthless, and
> that, therefore, copying is inevitable. I meant to imply
> that adding arbitrary legal restrictions (versus CDs and
> DVDs) are not sensible in this medium ("eBooks"). You're
> allowed to resell CDs and DVDs, i.e., you're allowed to
> transfer the right to view.
>
Hi Jonathan,

I believe what you're talking about is called the "first sale doctrine," which says that once a work has been distributed with the consent of the copyright owner, the person who receives it is free to redistribute the work without obtaining the consent of the copyright holder. There is a restriction to that in the 1976 Copyright Act that prohibits lending or renting phonographs or audio CDs for commercial advantage, unless you're a non-profit such as a library or you get permission from the copyright holder. But otherwise that's the law.

Shrink-wrap license agreements were created for software to get around the first sale doctrine. Basically these say that by opening the shrinkwrap you agree to the license, which says that the work is being licensed under stated terms rather than "sold." Our click through license is the same idea. Basically you can't download the eBook unless you say with a mouse click that you agree to the terms, which is why the first sale doctrine does not apply. Again I think an eBook is more like software than a physical book in this matter.

So I think our approach is legally sound. The question is whether it is best for the authors, the readers, and Artima, and as I mentioned before we are going to review this with legal and other advisers.

Jonathan Feinberg

Nickname: jfeinberg

Re: to DRM, or not to DRM Posted: Dec 20, 2007 10:36 AM
Bill, I was responding to a different poster, who'd misunderstood me.

I make no claims about the legality of your approach. My problem is that it's unnecessarily restrictive (and impossible to enforce).

Jonathan Feinberg

Nickname: jfeinberg

eBooks in general... Posted: Dec 22, 2007 7:01 AM
Bill, and others,

Having now spent some time reviewing the eBook licenses of other providers, I have to say that I regret my "contributions" to this forum. They're out of place here, as the Artima license is completely consistent with all the others (as Bill Venners has rightly pointed out). I'll take up my problems with non-transferrable licenses elsewhere.

Happy scala-ing...

Remco Bos

Nickname: remcobos

Re: Artima Publishes First (e)Book Posted: Aug 11, 2008 11:34 AM
I've bought the ebook some time ago. Having read the book once, I have decided I also want to buy the paper edition.

Is there a way I can order only the paper version (not the combo)? If I search on Amazon I only find a "Scala 100% Cotton Sun Hat".

Flat View: This topic has 19 replies on 2 pages [ « | 1  2 ]
Topic: Hiring coders Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: Go see

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use