The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Weblogs Forum
JavaPosse Roundup 2008, March 4-7

4 replies on 1 page. Most recent reply: Mar 27, 2008 11:04 AM by Carl Carlson

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 4 replies on 1 page
Bruce Eckel

Nickname: beckel

JavaPosse Roundup 2008, March 4-7 (View in Weblogs)
Posted: Dec 18, 2007 9:53 PM
Reply to this message Reply
Summary
You can listen to most of the 2007 sessions on the Javaposse site to get an idea of how fun and engaging the conversations were. We expect more people this time, maybe even a sellout.
Advertisement

Go to http://www.JavaPosse.com to listen to podcast recordings made last March.

Because of space limitations, we will cut off attendance at 70, so if you're interested, sign up soon (and beat the early-bird deadline of January 15 for substantial savings).

http://www.mindviewinc.com/Conferences/JavaPosseRoundup/

Theme: Don't Repeat Yourself

This year, we'll be exploring that most-ignored concept in computing, DRY (Don't Repeat Yourself). The instances of repetition and wasted effort are many and obvious: duplicated code, duplicated JSRs, duplicated open-source projects, even duplicated teams within a company. More subtle, however, are situations where we are trying to prevent duplication and may end up making things worse. For example, the reason there are many frameworks is probably that the existing ones didn't quite do the job, so we build another. Occasionally the newer frameworks are a positive move, but the process of proliferation can cause excess confusion and drive people away -- or drive them to create yet another framework. And consider the "not invented here" syndrome. It's usually harmful, but sometimes it's the right choice. What about "make one to throw away?" Does practice count as duplication? Other potential topics might be open source and the reuse landscape, and the design of libraries for reuse.

Although the theme sets the general tone of the conference, it doesn't prevent session topics that might be considered "off theme." The goal of the theme is to stimulate ideas, not to prevent discussion.

Vincent O'Sullivan

Nickname: vincent

Re: JavaPosse Roundup 2008, March 4-7 Posted: Dec 18, 2007 11:09 PM
It sounds like it will be a good conference. Good luck.

> The instances
> of repetition and wasted effort are many and obvious:
> ...duplicated open-source projects...

Is it the case where one open-source project is tackling a problem then other similar open-source projects should, in effect, "cease and desist"?

Bruce Eckel

Nickname: beckel

Re: JavaPosse Roundup 2008, March 4-7 Posted: Dec 19, 2007 6:16 AM
> Is it the case where one open-source project is tackling a
> problem then other similar open-source projects should, in
> effect, "cease and desist"?

Excellent topic for a session!

Rickard Öberg

Nickname: roberg

Re: JavaPosse Roundup 2008, March 4-7 Posted: Feb 3, 2008 2:34 AM
I have written a blog entry which discusses the DRY principle in relation to the Qi4j project that I am working on. You can read it here:
http://www.jroller.com/rickard/entry/don_t_don_t_repeat

Carl Carlson

Nickname: phpguy80

Re: JavaPosse Roundup 2008, March 4-7 Posted: Mar 27, 2008 11:04 AM
> I have written a blog entry which discusses the DRY
> principle in relation to the Qi4j project that I am
> working on. You can read it here:
> http://www.jroller.com/rickard/entry/don_t_don_t_repeat

Thanks Rickard, i'm actually trying to implement this across some of my projects such as betfair. Although it's quite basic at the minute there are plans to expand and switch to java and hence DRY comes into play

Flat View: This topic has 4 replies on 1 page
Topic: JavaPosse Roundup 2008, March 4-7 Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: Superlanguages: Syntactic and Semantic Supersets of other Languages

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use