The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Weblogs Forum
The Errors of Our Ways

5 replies on 1 page. Most recent reply: Mar 1, 2008 7:05 PM by Cameron Purdy

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 5 replies on 1 page
Nancy Nicolaisen

Nickname: nancyn

The Errors of Our Ways (View in Weblogs)
Posted: Feb 23, 2008 12:42 PM
Reply to this message Reply
Summary
The main job of a phone, after all, is to behave in a phone-like manner: always connected, always on and always available. If application failure could preempt these canonical device behaviors, we’d have, um..Windows. But we don’t. Thus, an incorruptible safety net is required, and we get this from the Symbian Leave architecture.
Advertisement
In Symbian, Leaving is the mechanism by which we mediate conditions that prevent apps from performing as intended. Whether precipitated by pilot error or a simple inability on the part of the device to perform as hoped, fault conditions on a phone are materially different than those on other types of devices. The main job of a phone, after all, is to behave in a phone-like manner: always connected, always on and always available. If application failure could preempt these canonical device behaviors, we’d have, um..Windows. But we don’t. Thus, an incorruptible safety net is required, and we get this from the Symbian Leave architecture.

Why This Isn’t Vanilla C++

Most programmers have, at the very least, a curiosity about why things are like they are. It naturally follows, since we are using C++, that one might wonder why Symbian has its own unique error recovery scheme. After all, one of C++’s notable strengths is its built-in error handling facility, the exception mechanism.

At the time Symbian was under development, C++ exception handling had not yet achieved standardization or full compiler integration. Later, when exception handling behavior was well defined, this infrastructure came at the price of considerable overhead in terms of code size, application memory footprint and execution performance. C++ exceptions, while a good big- and medium-sized programming technology, simply didn’t fit in the available space on a mobile device. Think of it as being more or less analogous to the fact that on an airliner, you get to eat micro pretzels, but at the movies you can buy and enjoy a cubic yard of popcorn. In both cases, you’re occupying a seat, but it’s what’s containing that seat that dictates the menu.

So. Leaves and the Clean Up Stack. Learn to love them and the whole landscape of Symbian programming spreads itself out at your feet.

A Peek Inside The Oyster

Leaves occur when a program makes requests for resources that the system can’t satisfy. Very often, these are a result of memory allocation failures. Low memory is, after all, the default operating condition on well designed embedded systems. Leaving offers us a very light weight, yet well defined, exception handling mechanism. Here are the basics:

• Leaves propagate program execution errors to logic that can handle them.

• Execution is suspended where the Leave occurs.

• Execution resumes at the point where the Leave is TRAPped.

• Respectively, these are equivalent to setjmp() and longjmp().

An application’s actual implementation of Leave behavior relies on these User class functions:

• User::Leave() Leaves unconditionally, carrying the integer passed to it as a Leave code

• User::LeaveIfNoMemory() Leaves unconditionally, but passes a hard-coded Leave value of KErrNoMemory.

• User::LeaveIfNull() tests a pointer parameter and Leaves with a KErrNoMemory if the pointer is NULL.

• User::LeaveIfError() tests an integer parameter and Leaves if the value is less than zero.

And where, you might be wondering, do we Leave to? Leaves land in a corresponding TRAP macro. There are two forms of the TRAP macro, but they behave in exactly the same fashion:

TRAP( ReturnStatusCode, MightBeALeaver() );

if(ReturnStatusCode==NOT_SO_GOOD)

{ //Do something about it... }

The TRAP macros work recursively, which is to say they TRAP Leaves from any functions called by the one named in the macro. They may be nested. By default, all Symbian programs have at least one TRAP macro, which is provided by the app framework. TRAPs are, however, extremely expensive, and so you must balance their necessary uses against their considerable processor and memory consumption. Every TRAP entry and exit switches user app code into privileged mode, in order to access kernel resources. Also, TRAPs cause allocation of storage for a backup copy of the thread’s stack. In the event a Leave actually occurs, the previous system state is restored from this snapshot. The Take Home Lesson:

Used together, Leaves and TRAPs detect recoverable error and redirect execution to remediate.

Given the preceding, there are some basic, hard and fast rules about Leaves that we currently know enough to digest.

• You can’t Leave in a constructor or a destructor, because this would very likely leak heap memory. Constructions which aren’t Leave safe are always done in two phases so that the first phase, the actual constructor, is Leave safe.

• You should never Leave and return an error. These are mutually exclusive behaviors in the Symbian context.

• We don’t use Leaves to direct the normal flow of program logic.

One reason the Symbian error handling model is far more lightweight than C++ exception handling is that while Leaving functions deallocate all local objects, they call no destructors. For this reason, were Leaves the only mechanism for handling runtime errors, we’d have a fairly serious problem. A Leave could deallocate locally stored (stack based) pointers to heap based objects, orphaning objects on the heap and causing memory leakage. This undesirable side effect is prevented by the use of the Clean Up Stack.

The Clean Up Stack

When I think about the mechanics of the Clean Up Stack, it seems a little like this is the place where Symbian programming is actually assembly language cross dressing as C++. There are two basic things to understand about this tool: First you need to have a definite, specific grasp of what does and does not go on the Clean Up Stack; And second, pushing and popping objects has to happen in a definite, particular order. This last is ordinary stack behavior, but if you haven’t had hands on experience with this data structure, it may seem intimidating. Fear not. In this post we are going to do a flyover of the Clean Up stack, its conventions and its uses. We will return to this topic at least twice more, to explore its operations in thoroughly meticulous fashion and completely illuminate its relationship to Symbian data typing. For now, we examine key principles of the Clean Up Stack architecture:

The Clean Up Stack provides a way to ensure that heap based objects are properly deallocated if a function Leaves before it can delete or destruct them normally. Much in the same fashion that the TRAP macro stores a copy of a thread’s stack in order to correctly restore state in the event of a Leave, the Clean Up Stack ensures the integrity of the heap.

Pointers to objects that are not Leave safe must be pushed onto the Clean Up Stack. An item is not "Leave safe" if it’s deletion would cause heap memory to be leaked.

It works like the plate dispenser in the cafeteria. "Pop" removes the topmost element and "Push" adds an element at the topmost position. Since in this case, the items we are shoving around point to heap space allocations, it is very important to keep track of the order in which they come and go. Otherwise, we create the potential for double deletion, deleting things in the wrong order or leaking heap memory.

The Clean Up Stack Push operations are, themselves, Leave safe. Clean Up Stack architecture makes it impossible to orphan an object passed in to it for a PUSH operation. We’ll explore why this is so at a later point in time. The important thing here is that as an app programmer, you have no responsibility for managing the integrity of underlying Clean Up Stack data structures or functionality.

Symbian’s overall system of ensuring heap integrity relies on two things: Appropriate use of the Clean Up Stack and adherence to Symbian data type conventions. Put another way, this comes down to the first rule of good programming practice, as related to me by my sister decades ago, when we were in college. Rule of thumb: Always know where your space is coming from.

Looking Ahead:

A "whole cloth" understanding of the Symbian programming model relies on the interweaving of safety mechanisms (Leaves and the Clean Up Stack) and the conventional use of Symbian Data Types. After you understand these two things, both individually and in relation to one another, you have a solid foundation on which to build just about any sort of app. So next, we look at data types.

David Eriksson

Nickname: twogood

Re: The Errors of Our Ways Posted: Feb 25, 2008 11:09 PM
Back in 2001 I summarized an onerous EPOC/Symbian Quartz (now UIQ) project like this...

CleanupStack::PushL(EPOC);
User::LeaveNoMemory();

;-)

Cameron Purdy

Nickname: cpurdy

Re: The Errors of Our Ways Posted: Feb 26, 2008 6:58 AM
> The main job of a phone, after
> all, is to behave in a phone-like manner: always
> connected, always on and always available. If application
> failure could preempt these canonical device behaviors,
> we’d have, um..Windows. But we don’t.

Not to be the cold wet towel, but I do have to reboot my phone more often than I have to reboot my computer (which runs Windows), and no, I don't run Windows on the phone ;-)

Peace,

Cameron Purdy | Oracle
http://www.oracle.com/technology/products/coherence/index.html

Jesse Kuhnert

Nickname: jkuhnert

Re: The Errors of Our Ways Posted: Feb 26, 2008 12:09 PM
Sloppy application code (or flaky vm's) may be more the reason for your needing to reboot than the phone's OS kernel...which is where I'm guessing her perspective on small devices comes from. maybe not though

>> ...If
> application
> > failure could preempt these canonical device behaviors,
> > we’d have, um..Windows. But we don’t.
>
> Not to be the cold wet towel, but I do have to reboot my
> phone more often than I have to reboot my computer (which
> runs Windows), and no, I don't run Windows on the phone
> ;-)
>
> Peace,
>
> Cameron Purdy | Oracle
> http://www.oracle.com/technology/products/coherence/index.h
> tml

Nancy Nicolaisen

Nickname: nancyn

Re: The Errors of Our Ways Posted: Mar 1, 2008 1:10 PM
Cameron-
Yow! I can't accurately describe the frisson of excitement I am experiencing--Me, being called for being too hard on WINDOWS!! As the Chinese say, long life brings many surprises. Or as my mother would say, there's a first time for everything. Seriously though, and more to the point, would you weigh in with a bit more detail? What sort of phone do you use, what OS runs it and what apps make it die? Is it an unlocked phone, and did you download the offenders yourself, or were they perniciously lying in wait? And, most critically, do you consider this crashing behavior intolerable, or just the price of convenience a smartphone provides in other respects?

Cameron Purdy

Nickname: cpurdy

Re: The Errors of Our Ways Posted: Mar 1, 2008 7:05 PM
Hi Nancy -

Well, I've had a handful of smart-phones, and my current one (due to the instability of the smart phones) is just a KRAZR .. in the KRAZR's case, the lock-ups are usually something to do with using bluetooth, but occasionally the interrupt on the flip (open / shut) event will trigger a lock-up as well. The last phone I had was running Windows Mobile, and it was a disaster; I had to reboot it about 2x every day, and I had very few apps on it other than those that came on it. (I've never seen a worse OS for a phone than Windows.) Before that, Sony Ericson, and I also use a few different Nokias including a smart phone (they're the most stable of the lot, but still have occasional lock-ups).

Anyhow, I only posted my comment because I thought it was a little bit funny after my own bad experiences that people consider cell phones to be stable. I don't think I've ever had a cell phone that "just worked" since the analog cell phone days. I attribute that to the massive complexity of the OS and software on the phones, and the rush to market of each new phone and feature.

Or maybe I'm just too hard on them ;-)

Peace,

Cameron Purdy | Oracle
http://www.oracle.com/technology/products/coherence/index.html

Flat View: This topic has 5 replies on 1 page
Topic: The Errors of Our Ways Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: I Know Why Software Sucks

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use