The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Weblogs Forum
I'm free. ish.

1 reply on 1 page. Most recent reply: May 22, 2008 2:14 PM by Karl Friedrich

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 1 reply on 1 page
Rick Kitts

Nickname: rkitts

I'm free. ish. (View in Weblogs)
Posted: May 1, 2008 10:32 AM
Reply to this message Reply
Summary
I'm leaving my company and heading back out on my own and that means I can talk again.
Advertisement
After a little over 5 years I'm leaving my current employer. Where I'm working (for the next 6 or so weeks) has been and is a seriously great place to code for a living. I'd recommend it to anyone and indeed wouldn't even be leaving except for an offer-I-can't-refuse offer that unexpectedly fell in my lap. But that doesn't mean I don't have stories. And they might even be worth thinking about.

What this means then is that I'm free to talk again without worrying about offending a colleague with something I might say. Actually, that's not strictly true. I really don't want to offend anyone (though I probably will) so I guess it's more that I don't have to worry about writing something one day and having someone ask me the next if it was them I was talking about and then dealing with someone who passes for a manager here (NB: I mean this as a high compliment. More another time.) dealing with me.

So I'm free. ish.

Karl Friedrich

Nickname: karlfred

Re: I'm free. ish. Posted: May 22, 2008 2:14 PM
Reply to this message Reply
I also just decided to start my own company (doing a programming language). Working for a big business will generate nice monthly payments, but sometimes you feel like being in a treadmill.
Also, you are contributing to something you don't own, you would do differently. Stupid ideas are forced down your throat. Either you get cynical, get a research fellow position or you have to quit. I am not feeling bad about those 2000-developer monsters; it is just nothing I will do until retirement.
Regarding Free Speech, I guess one should be very careful about it. You can't just offend a big-biz manager; you may also offend potential customers (of your OWN business).
Better use a pseudonymous account when you rant about something. If the authorities have legal reason to track you down, they will find a way to do it. Everybody else just does not have a business in knowing you, if you so choose.
I am always amused by Larry Ellison making outrageous statements which pointlessly offend a lot of people. I think he has more luck than competence in Public Relations.
I have some strong opinions on philosophy, religions, economics and technology, but I also realize that being “negative” makes you look like an a**h**e to many people. Try to communicate the advantages of your products and don't take the bait to bash something or (worse) somebody else. The features of your product and your business model will decide about your long-term success, not your marketing efforts.
The programming language will be ready in a few months; I can't be more specific for now :-)

Flat View: This topic has 1 reply on 1 page
Topic: I'm free. ish. Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: Python 3000 and You

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use