The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Weblogs Forum
JavaOne 2008, Day 2

5 replies on 1 page. Most recent reply: May 28, 2008 8:57 AM by sawan kuntala

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 5 replies on 1 page
Arash Barirani

Nickname: barirani

JavaOne 2008, Day 2 (View in Weblogs)
Posted: May 7, 2008 8:27 PM
Reply to this message Reply
Summary
I got to JavaOne late this year, but still was able to see some old friends, and do some catching up over dinner. JavaOne has become a social call and a community refresher for me as much as it has been a trade show that offers one the latest trends and news.
Advertisement

This year I couldn't take time off to attend JavaOne when the doors open and go to the opening sessions. I got there late and registered and scanned the floor a little while. I missed the waiting crowed and all the new faces that are anxious to get in. Yes, it is as much a social call for me as it is a trade-show with news about who is doing what, and what is the latest on Java.

A few highlights of what I saw on the first day in the JavaOne Pavilion:

A new company named dotFX with a security product. They provide security for Internet applications based on Java. The person in the booth, Pete, was full of that startup-energy to tell the outside world about his company's product and what types of issues their product solves. I just love that level of enthusiasm! In spite of that, I am not sure exactly how it works and how it will help me on a day-to-day basis as a programmer... So much for this.

Then I went to see a screen full of flashing graphs and icons. It was "JENNIFER" -- a company that puts out performance monitoring tools. I remember them from JavaOne last year. I was told their demo that was displaying in their booth was an actual client monitoring. Not sure if it was live or recorded from before.

I saw another company, Appistry. They make a grid-based application that helps simplify development and deployment of scalable applications in Java, .NET or C and C++. I didn't get a chance to go over what they offer -- in detail -- but plan to do so tomorrow.

I also stopped by Krugle: A software development package that provides all sort of features and functions for code development and analysis. I will see if attend their demo session today. So more on this.

Saw the Microsoft booth there and I am planning to see what they have this year -- other than their bid for Yahoo.

I am making an effort to make it to JavaOne in SF everyday. I don't have a set focus on any type of technology or company this year. So if you have a favorite subject, company, or product, leave me a message. I will make sure that at least I check it out for you. This way I will feel more Green about my commute to SF during this week too. ;)

sawan kuntala

Nickname: kst

Re: JavaOne 2008, Day 2 Posted: May 8, 2008 7:40 AM
Anything on OSGI in Enterprise world?

Zemian Deng

Nickname: zdeng

Re: JavaOne 2008, Day 2 Posted: May 8, 2008 9:30 AM
Anything on Applet coming back alive with ConsumerJRE? :)

And how much hype is there for JavaFX now? Any established company using it?

Bill Pyne

Nickname: billpyne

Re: JavaOne 2008, Day 2 Posted: May 8, 2008 1:41 PM
> Anything on Applet coming back alive with ConsumerJRE? :)
>
> And how much hype is there for JavaFX now? Any established
> company using it?

You may have seen this already. There's a video of a talk done about Applets by Richard Blair of Sun. It's not from the JavaOne Conference but it's still interesting.

http://www.parleys.com/

Go to page 2 and you'll see the video right beneath one that James Gosling did.

Arash Barirani

Nickname: barirani

Re: JavaOne 2008, Day 2 Posted: May 10, 2008 11:43 AM
Sawan,
I didn't see anything enterprise-wise on OSGI. So I asked around from my circle of peers, and programmer friends, including Bill & Frank -- the Artima guys -- as they both follow the trends. Will see if they have anything to say about this.

Arash

sawan kuntala

Nickname: kst

Re: JavaOne 2008, Day 2 Posted: May 28, 2008 8:57 AM
Thanks Arash, appreciate your time!

Flat View: This topic has 5 replies on 1 page
Topic: JavaOne 2008, Day 2 Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: I'm free. ish.

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use