The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Weblogs Forum
Ubuntu on the EeePC

4 replies on 1 page. Most recent reply: Jan 3, 2009 8:38 PM by Michele Simionato

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 4 replies on 1 page
Michele Simionato

Nickname: micheles

Ubuntu on the EeePC (View in Weblogs)
Posted: Jan 1, 2009 10:35 PM
Reply to this message Reply
Summary
Some update about my experiences with the EeePC.
Advertisement

The other day my wife told me that she was unhappy with her EeePC, the one we got as a wedding present (the story was told in a previous post). She was experiencing random freezing while surfing the net. I thought of an issue with some Firefox plugin but I could not find anything wrong. So I took the occasion and I said, "well, why not to try some other Linux distribution than the default (Xandros) since I have heard that most distributions features a good support for the EeePC?".

So I did. I chose Ubuntu since it is the distribution I use on my MacBook. I have also tried the Eeebuntu distribution which is expressly written for the EeePC, but I came back to basic Ubuntu since I prefer the standard desktop, both form an aesthetic point of view and because of familiarity and usability.

The installation went smoothly, just following the instructions at array.org, an apt-get repository where you can find Adam McDaniel's kernel for the EeePC. Actually, since I did not want to erase the Xandros distribution I did some experiment first, by installing the new OS on a separate drive. I did discover that installing on a USB pen drive is perfectly possible, but the experience is painful: the installation takes nearly two hours, and then the machine is very slow. On the other hand, installing on an external hard disk takes less than half an hour and then the machine is very snappy. It looks like disk speed is an extremely important factor when it comes to the responsiveness of the EeePC: the processor is not the bottleneck, the disks are.

After those experiments I installed on the internal disks - which are solid state devices - and I have got performances comparable to using an external hard disk. I have also discovered that the smaller disk (my EeePC has two internal disk, a 4GB one and a 16GB one) is much faster than the bigger one. I formatted the disks so that the "/" partition was on the small disk and the "/usr" partition was on the big disk.

As I said everything went fine. Notice that you absolutely wants to install the eee-control utility (apt-get install eee-control) which allows you to control the performance of the processor and to enable/disable the wifi, the bluetooth, the webcam and the card reader.

I had two big positive surprises:

1. With Ubuntu and Adam's kernel the machine is extremely more responsive than with the default Xandros distribution. This was completely unexpected. Of course the advantage of Ubuntus versus Xandros is that you have (much) more updated and bigger repositories of packages, but I did not expect to see a substantial difference in responsivity. There is, instead: opening the video player, of Firefox, or any other application is much faster. Moreover the default Ubuntu video player is much faster than the Xandros default player.
  2. The graphics card of the Eeepc is pretty powerful and/or particularly well supported: in particular Compiz works out of the box and I could enable the Desktop Cube effect which I could not get to work on my MacBook. I could not see any difference in responsivity with respect to my desktop computer, which has 4 GB or RAM and a nvidia graphics card. I have also tried to connect the EeePC to an external monitor and to my TV (which features a 1360x768 resolution): everything works perfectly, including the Cube effect. We saw Once Upon a Time in America just yesterday night on the 42 inches display, and the vision was perfectly fluid and clear.

With Ubuntu the EeePC feels like a real computer. I have even installed Postgres on it and I think one could use it for development, not just for surfing the net. Now that there are models with bigger displays I think my next laptop will be a netbook.

Joao Trindade

Nickname: trindade

Re: Ubuntu on the EeePC Posted: Jan 2, 2009 4:51 AM
I also have an EeePc 901 running Ubuntu. And I'm loving it. I have only one complain, that firefox the first time it starts up takes an eternity. Most be from all the plugins I have.

I have read in many places that the small disk is much faster than the second.

But when I run hdparm the two disk speeds are very similar.

Does the same happen to you?

$> sudo hdparm -tT /dev/sda # The small disk

/dev/sda:
Timing cached reads: 926 MB in 2.00 seconds = 462.51 MB/sec
Timing buffered disk reads: 96 MB in 3.02 seconds = 31.83 MB/sec

$> sudo hdparm -tT /dev/sdb # The big disk

/dev/sdb:
Timing cached reads: 898 MB in 2.00 seconds = 449.26 MB/sec
Timing buffered disk reads: 86 MB in 3.03 seconds = 28.40 MB/sec

Thanks,

Michele Simionato

Re: Ubuntu on the EeePC Posted: Jan 2, 2009 8:56 PM
Interesting that you mention hdparm. I do not know what it measures, but it is not significant. I get exactly the same numbers you get, nevertheless the small disk is twice as fast as the big one. Try this test:

$ cat write1G.py
import os, sys, time

ONEMEG = '*'*1024*1024

def write1G(fname):
t0 = time.time()
f = file(fname, 'w')
try:
for _ in xrange(1024):
f.write(ONEMEG)
finally:
f.close()
os.remove(fname)
return time.time()-t0

if __name__ == '__main__':
print 'Time spent: %s' % write1G(sys.argv[1])

$ python write1G.py somefile

This writes 1 GB of data in the current directory.
On my machine it takes ~90 seconds if I give a path on the big disk and ~40 seconds if I give a path on the small disk.
The writing speed difference is 11 M/s vs 26 M/s.
You can repeat the test on different kind of drives (USB pen
are very slow) and write a similar test for the reading speed).

Joao Trindade

Nickname: trindade

Re: Ubuntu on the EeePC Posted: Jan 3, 2009 8:57 AM
Just another question, wouldn't it be smarter to do the contrary:

"I formatted the disks so that the "/" partition was on the small disk and the "/usr" partition was on the big disk."

Isn't most of the time spent on loading the files present at /usr ?

I'm thinking on putting /usr on the 4GB and the rest on the 16GB. Do you think this is the best solution?

Thanks for your great articles

Michele Simionato

Re: Ubuntu on the EeePC Posted: Jan 3, 2009 8:38 PM
> I'm thinking on putting /usr on the 4GB and the rest on
> the 16GB. Do you think this is the best solution?

By default, a lot of programs on Unix systems are installed on /usr, so I expected to hit the 4GB limit pretty soon.
However, if do not install stuff, or if you are careful in where you install it, you can go with /usr on the the small disk. The big disk is fast enough for me anyway.

Flat View: This topic has 4 replies on 1 page
Topic: The Adventures of a Pythonista in Rubyland/2 - No Comprehension Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: Podcasts I listen to

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use