The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Weblogs Forum
Rapid Hiring & Firing to Build the Best Teams

108 replies on 8 pages. Most recent reply: Apr 10, 2010 9:52 AM by Aye Thu

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 108 replies on 8 pages [ « | 1 ... 5 6 7 8 ]
Paul English

Nickname: kayakcto

Re: Rapid Hiring & Firing to Build the Best Teams Posted: Mar 26, 2010 1:51 PM
Reply to this message Reply
Advertisement
> Most of the people at KAYAK do not have the chance to
> leave when they choose because they are fired before that.

That's right. And I like it like that. If you don't like it like that, don't come work at KAYAK. My point that nobody quits is that people here seem to like working here. We don't chain them to their desks.

> >Revenue per employee is a good way to measure
> efficiency.
>
> Ok. But how to you measure the revenue per employee? Is
> the lines of code written?

As mentioned above, I'm talking about (total company revenue) / (total number of employees) not revenue generated by each specific employee.

The point of tracking total revenue per employee is to see how efficient the company is compared to other companies.

We don't release our financials since we're a privately-held company. If you think this means I should not talk about the types of things I measure, sorry.

Stephen Crane

Nickname: jscrane

Re: Rapid Hiring & Firing to Build the Best Teams Posted: Mar 26, 2010 5:10 PM
The first thing I thought seeing the title is Mark E. Smith's life work, i.e., The Fall. (A continuous factory of young musicians unter Mr Smith's tutelage.)

Mika Salmensuu

Nickname: mikas

Re: Rapid Hiring & Firing to Build the Best Teams Posted: Mar 28, 2010 2:31 AM
>> Most of the people at KAYAK do not have the chance to
>> leave when they choose because they are fired before that.

> That's right.

We agree here.

> And I like it like that.

Ok.

> If you don't like it like that, don't come work at KAYAK.

As I have mentioned in one of my earlier posts I would not hire you in my company.

> My point that nobody quits

because they are fired before they have a chance to quit!

What is the ratio of people who quit and people who have been fired during the same period of time? Is something like one in one hundred? Can you honestly draw such conclusion based on this ratio?

Aye Thu

Nickname: ayethu

Re: Rapid Hiring & Firing to Build the Best Teams Posted: Apr 10, 2010 9:52 AM
A Lot of the responses to Paul seems like people taking personal offense with kayaks policy. Personally I get the impression that it's because he cares. Seriously. A lot of management ive worked with focus on deadlines and costs and nothing else; to me problems in those areas are just the symptoms and not the cause. Kayak is taking preventative measures in my mind. Another company that does something similar is zappos. I believe they provide an incentive pkg to quit after going through their training program.this is so that if you feel like zappos is not a good fit for you, you can quit and get some money for it. Zappos sees it as a plus for them too in the long term.

Anyway when you care about the work that you do, you want to make sure you have the best people working with you. That's a given. "best" is definitely subjective since we're all human.

Btw definitely sorry to hear Bruce being in town and me missing it. Your books definitely were a joy to read and made me see that there is beauty in writing code!

Flat View: This topic has 108 replies on 8 pages [ « | 5  6  7  8 ]
Topic: Programming in the Mid-Future Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: The Future of UML

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use