The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Weblogs Forum
Threads, processes and concurrency in Python: some thoughts

15 replies on 2 pages. Most recent reply: Sep 3, 2010 6:21 PM by robert young

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 15 replies on 2 pages [ 1 2 | » ]
Michele Simionato

Nickname: micheles

Threads, processes and concurrency in Python: some thoughts (View in Weblogs)
Posted: Jul 26, 2010 4:08 AM
Reply to this message Reply
Summary
Removing the hype around the multicore (non) revolution and some (hopefully) sensible comment about threads ad other forms of concurrency.
Advertisement

Threads, processes and concurrency in Python: some thoughts

I attended the EuroPython conference in Birmingham last week. Nice place and nice meeting overall. There were lots of interesting talks on many subjects. I want to focus on the talks about concurrency here. We had a keynote by Russel Winder about the "multicore revolution" and various talks about different approaches to concurrency (Python-CSP, Twisted, stackless, etc). Since this is a hot topic in Python (and in other languages) and everybody wants to have his saying, I will take the occasion to make a comment.

The multicore non revolution

First of all, I want to say that I believe in the multicore non revolution: I claim that essentially nothing will change for the average programmer with the advent of multicore machines. Actually, the multicore machines are already here and you can already see that nothing has changed.

For instance, I am interacting with my database just as before: yes, internally the database may have support for multiple cores, it may be able to perform parallel restore and other neat tricks, but as a programmer I do not see any difference in my day to day SQL programming, except (hopefully) on the performance side.

I am also writing my web application as before the revolution: perhaps internally my web server is using processes and not threads, but I do not see any difference at the web framework user level. Ditto if I am writing a desktop application: the GUI framework provides a way to launch processes or threads in the background: I just perform the high level calls and I not fiddle with locks.

At work we have a Linux cluster with hundreds of CPUs, running thousands of processes per day in parallel: still, all of the complication of scheduling and load balancing is managed by the Grid engine, and what we write is just single threaded code interacting with a database. The multicore revolution did not change anything for the way we code. On the other extreme of the spectrum, people developing for embedded platforms will just keep using platform-specific mechanisms.

The only programmers that (perhaps) may see a difference are scientific programmers, or people writing games, but they are a minority of the programmers out there. Besides, they already know how to write parallel programs, since in the scientific community people have discussed parallelization for thirty years, so no revolution for them either.

For the rest of the world I expect that frameworks will appear abstracting the implementation details away, so that people will not see big differences when using processes and when using threads. This is already happening in the Python world: for instance the multiprocessing module in the standard library is modeled on the threading module API, and the recently accepted PEP 3148 (the one about futures) works in the same way for both threads and processes.

Enough with thread bashing

At the conference there was a lot of bias against threads, as usual in the Python world, just more so. I have heard people saying bad things against threads from my first day with Python, 8 years ago, and frankly I am getting tired. It seems this is an area filled with misinformation and FUD. And I am not even talking of the endless rants against the GIL.

I do not like threads particularly, but after 8 years of hearing things like "it is impossible to get threads right, and if you are thinking so you are a delusional programmer" one gets a bit tired. Of course it is possible to get threads right, because all mainstream operating systems use them, most web servers use them, and thousands of applications use them, and they are all working (I will not claim that they are all bug-free, though).

The problem is that the people bashing threads are typically system programmers which have in mind use cases that the typical application programmer will never encounter in her life. For instance, I recommend the article by Bryan Cantrill "A spoon of sewage", published in the Beautiful Code book: it is an horror story about the intricacies of locking in the core of the Solaris operating system (you can find part of the article in this blog post). That kind of things are terribly tricky to get right indeed; my point however is that really few people have to deal with that level of sophistication.

In 99% of the use cases an application programmer is likely to run into, the simple pattern of spawning a bunch of independent threads and collecting the results in a queue is everything one needs to know. There are no explicit locks involved and it is definitively possible to get it right. One may actually argue that this is a case that should be managed with a higher level abstraction than threads: a witty writer could even say that the one case when you can get threads right is when you do not need then. I have no issues with that position: but I have issue with the bold claim that threads are impossible to use in all situations!

In my experience even the trivial use cases are rare and actually in 8 years of Python programming I have never once needed to implemenent a hairy use case. Even more: I never needed to perform a concurrent update using locks directly (except for learning purposes). I do write concurrent applications, but all of my concurrency needs are taken care of by the database and the web framework. I use threadlocal objects occasionally, to make sure everything works properly, but that's all. Of course threadlocal objects (I mean instances of threading.local in Python) use locks internally, but I do not need to think about the locks, they are hidden from my user experience. Similarly, when I use SQLAlchemy, the thread-related complications are taken care of by the framework. This is why in practice threads are usable and are actually used by everybody, sometimes even without knowing it (did you know that using the standard library logging module turns your program into a multi-threaded program behind your back?).

There is more to say about threads: if you want to run your concurrent/parallel application on Windows or in any platform lacking fork, you have no other choice. Yes, in theory one could use the asynchronous approach (Twisted-docet) but in practice even Twisted use threads underneath to manage blocking input (say from the database): there is not way out.

Confusing parallelism with concurrency

At the conference various people conflated parallelism with concurrency, and I feel compelled to rectify that misunderstanding.

Parallelism is really quite trivial: you just split a computation in many independent tasks which interact very little or do not interact at all (for the so-called embarrassing parallel problems) and you collect the results at the end. The MapReduce pattern of Google fame is a well known example of simple parallelism.

Concurrency is very much nontrivial instead: it is all about modifying things from different threads/processes/tasklets/whatever without incurring in hairy bugs. Concurrent updates are the key aspects in concurrency. A true example of concurrency is an OS-level task scheduler.

The nice thing is that most people don't need true concurrency, they need just parallelism of the simplest strain. Of course one needs a mechanism to start/stop/resume/kill tasks, and a way to wait for a task to finish, but this is quite simple to implement if the tasks are independent. Heck, even my own plac module is enough to manage simple parallelism! (more on that later)

I also believe people have been unfair against the poor old shared memory model, looking only at its faults and not at its advantages. Most of the problems are with locks, not with the shared memory model. In particular, in parallel situations (say read-only situations, with no need for locks) shared memory is quite good since you have access to everything.

Moreover, the shared memory model has the non-negligible advantage that you can pass non-pickleable objects between tasks. This is quite convenient, as I often use non-pickleable objects such as generators and closures in my programs (and tracebacks are unpickleable too).

Even if you need to manage true concurrency with shared memory, you are not forced to use threads and locks directly. For instance, there is a nice example of concurrency in Haskell in the Beautiful Code book titled "Beautiful concurrency" (the PDF is public) which uses Software Transactional Memory (STM). The same example can be implemented in Python in a completely different way by using cooperative multitasking (i.e. generators and a scheduler) as documented in a nice blog post by Christian Wyglendowski. However:

1. the asynchronous approach is single-core;
  2. if a single generator takes too long to run, the whole program will block, so that extra-care should be taken to ensure cooperation.

My experience with plac

Recently I have released a module named plac which started out as a command-line argument parser but immediately evolved as a tool to write command-line interpreters. Since I wanted to be able to execute long running commands without blocking the interpreter loop I implemented some support for running commands in the background by using threads or processes. That made me rethink about various things I have learned about concurrency in the last 8 years: it also gave me the occasion to implement something non completely trivial with the multiprocessing module.

In plac commands are implemented as generators wrapped in task objects. When the command raises an exception, plac catches it and stores it in three attributes of the task object: etype (the exception class), exc (the exception object) and tb (the exception traceback). When working in threaded mode it is possible to re-raise the exception after the failure of task, with the original traceback. This is convenient if you are collecting the output of different commands, since you can process the error later on.

In multiprocessing mode instead, since the exception happened in a separated process and the traceback is not pickleable, it is impossible to get your hands on the traceback. As a workaround plac is able to store the string representation of the traceback, but it is clearly losing debugging power.

Moreover, plac is based on generators which are not pickleable, so it is difficult to port on Windows the current multiprocessing implementation, whereas the threaded implementation works fine both on Windows and Unices.

Another difference worth to notice is that the multiprocessing model forced me to specify explicitly which variables are shared amongst processes; as a consequence, the multiprocessing implementation of tasks in plac is slightly longer than the threaded implementation. In particular, I needed to implement the shared attributes as properties over a multiprocessing.Namespace object. However, I must admit that I like to be forced to specify the shared variables (explicit is better than implicit).

I am not touching here the issue of the overhead due to processes and process intercommunication, since I am not interested in performance issues, but there is certainly an issue if you need to pass a large amount of data so certainly there are cases where using threads has some advantage.

Still, at EuroPython it seemed that everybody was dead set against threads. This is a feeling which is quite common amongsts Python developers (actually I am not a thread lover myself) but sometime things get too unbalanced. There is so much talk against threads and then if you look at the reality it turns out that essentially all Web frameworks and database libraries are using them! Of course, there are exceptions, like Twisted and Tornado, or psycopg2 which is able to access the asynchronous features of PostgreSQL, but they are exactly that: exceptions. Let's be honest.

Conclusion

In practice it is difficult to get rid of threads and no amount of thread bashing will have any effect. It is best to have a positive attitude and to focus on ways to make threads easier to use for the simple cases, and to provide thread/process agnostic high level APIs: PEP 3148 is a step in that direction. For instance, an application could use use threads on Windows and processes on Unices, transparently (at least to a certain extent: it is impossible to be perfectly transparent in the general case).

In the long run I assume that Windows will grow some good way to run processes, because it looks like it is tecnologically impossible to substain the shared memory model when the number of cores becomes large, so that the multiprocessing model will win at the end. Then there will be less reasons to complain about the GIL. Not that there aren many reason to complain even now, since the GIL affects CPU-dominated applications, and typically CPU-dominated applications such as computations are not done in pure Python, but in C-extensions which can release the GIL as they like. BTW, the GIL itself will never go away in C-Python because of backward compatibility concerns with C-extensions, even if it will improve in Python 3.2.

So, what are my predictions for the future? That concurrency will be even further hidden from the application programmer and that the underlying mechanism used by the language will matter even less than it matters today. This is hardly a deep prediction; it is already happening. Look at the new languages: Clojure or Scala are using Java threads internally, but the concurrency model exposed to the programmer is quite different. At the moment I would say that all modern languages (including Python) are converging towards some form of message passing concurrency model (remember the Go meme don't communicate by sharing memory; share memory by communicating). The future will tell if the synchronous message passing mechanism (CSP-like) will dominate, or if the Erlang-style asynchronous message passing will win, or if they will coexist (which looks likely). Event-loop based programming will continue to work fine as always and raw threads will be only for people implementing operating systems. Actually I should probably remove the future tense since a lot of people are already working in this scenario. I leave further comments to my readers.

UPDATE: I see today a very interesting (as always!) article by Dave Beazley on the subject of threads and generators. He suggests cooperation between threads and generators instead of just replacing threads with generators. Kind of interesting to me, since plac uses the same trick of wrapping a generator inside a thread, even if for different reasons (I am just interested in making the thread killable, Dave is interested on performance). BTW, all articles by Dave are a must read if you are interested in concurrency in Python, do a favor to yourself and read them!

robert young

Nickname: funbunny

Re: Threads, processes and concurrency in Python: some thoughts Posted: Jul 26, 2010 7:13 AM
-- For instance, I am interacting with my database just as before: yes, internally the database may have support for multiple cores, it may be able to perform parallel restore and other neat tricks, but as a programmer I do not see any difference in my day to day SQL programming, except (hopefully) on the performance side.

Which is the main reason I've been arguing for some time that the move to "distribute" logic to the client (back to the COBOL/VSAM 60'S future, that was) is over. Single task apps will run slower as cores/processors multiply at stagnant clocks, and the multi-machines running RDBMS will have all the horsepower needed to do ACID, just as Dr. Codd said we should.

Marco Benelli

Nickname: marcob

Re: Threads, processes and concurrency in Python: some thoughts Posted: Jul 28, 2010 12:41 PM
Very interesting post, as usual :)

About "the one case when you can get threads right is when you do not need then": I sometimes use threads in Gambit-C scheme; they are continuations-based threads, so their usage doesn't use multi-core. Anyway, I find I can write more readable code this way, than, for example using an event-loop/reactor. But I think it's a subjective matter.

OT: Glad to hear that plac evolved in a command-line interpreter. Are you still sure that Domain Specific Languages aren't important for a real-world programmer? .)

Muhammad Alkarouri

Nickname: malkarouri

Re: Threads, processes and concurrency in Python: some thoughts Posted: Aug 1, 2010 4:15 PM
I imagine this argument can be rephrased differently: threads are not the abstraction for concurrency. They give too much power that is not needed most of the time, and this power allows for more bugs that can be avoided by using the right abstraction. Given that concurrency is not equivalent to threads, the prediction can also be rephrased: application programmers will be more aware of concurrency. Rather than having concurrency as a tagged on library, threads or otherwise, it will be part of the language proper. Erlang, Clojure and Scala are examples where concurrency is more prominant.

Nemanja Trifunovic

Nickname: ntrif

Re: Threads, processes and concurrency in Python: some thoughts Posted: Aug 2, 2010 10:11 AM
> The multicore
> non revolution
> First of all, I want to say that I believe in the
> multicore non
> revolution: I claim that essentially nothing will
> change for the average
> programmer with the advent of multicore machines.
> Actually, the
> multicore machines are already here and you can already
> see that
> nothing has changed.

Depends what you mean by an "average programmer". For an average system programmer or a game programmer things have changed dramatically.

robert young

Re: Threads, processes and concurrency in Python: some thoughts Posted: Aug 2, 2010 11:23 AM
> Depends what you mean by an "average programmer". For an
> average system programmer or a game programmer things have
> changed dramatically.

If you take the view that "average" or "median" programming tasks is determined across all programmers, then the article is quite correct. Of all programmers, system programmers (using X86 architectures, which is where this article is based) may be 1%; those writing windoze and those writing linux. One may view server writers, database and web mostly, as system programmers. That might get us to 2%. Gamers, can't say, but last I looked, most code to rendering engines, not compilers, much the way web coders write to some java framework, not the compiler.

Amdahl's law has not been repealed, nor will it be. Unless, and until, it is the usefulness of parallel code is minimal outside of server development.

Michele Simionato

Nickname: micheles

Re: Threads, processes and concurrency in Python: some thoughts Posted: Aug 2, 2010 9:24 PM
> Are you still sure that Domain Specific
> Languages aren't important for a real-world programmer? .)

I don't remember having bashed DSLs. For sure I have written that in my opinion an enterprise-oriented language should not have macros, but I never said that an enterprise-oriented language should have no way to implement a DSL external to the language. Actually DSLs are quite useful, especially the command-oriented ones, but you don't need macros to implement them.

Marco Benelli

Nickname: marcob

Re: Threads, processes and concurrency in Python: some thoughts Posted: Aug 3, 2010 1:00 AM
> I don't remember having bashed DSLs.

Then I think I have misunderstood your adventure #12.
Sorry.

Nemanja Trifunovic

Re: Threads, processes and concurrency in Python: some thoughts Posted: Aug 3, 2010 6:10 AM
> Of all programmers,
> system programmers (using X86 architectures, which is
> where this article is based) may be 1%; those writing
> windoze and those writing linux. One may view server
> writers, database and web mostly, as system programmers.
> That might get us to 2%.

Interesting numbers. May I ask for the source?

robert young

Re: Threads, processes and concurrency in Python: some thoughts Posted: Aug 3, 2010 12:53 PM
> > Of all programmers,
> > system programmers (using X86 architectures, which is
> > where this article is based) may be 1%; those writing
> > windoze and those writing linux. One may view server
> > writers, database and web mostly, as system
> programmers.
> > That might get us to 2%.
>
> Interesting numbers. May I ask for the source?

I thought it was pretty clear: I made 'em up. OTOH, if the entirety of M$ and linux kernel programmers reach even 1%, I'd be shocked. There just aren't that many of 'em.

The linux kernel mailing list is a few thousand; call it 3,000. Say M$ has 5,000 devoted to winX development. Total here of 8,000. Double that to cover database engines and web engines. (Aside: I knew the core developers of the Progress database engine, and it was about two dozen.)

That gets us to 16,000. So, we need 1,600,000 total X86 programmers to make my SWAG. I don't see any problem with that.

John Wellbelove

Nickname: garibaldi

Re: Threads, processes and concurrency in Python: some thoughts Posted: Aug 4, 2010 12:35 AM
> those writing windoze
> if the entirety of M$

What's with Linux fans? Why do they always resort to puerile name calling when talking about Microsoft and Windows.

Nemanja Trifunovic

Re: Threads, processes and concurrency in Python: some thoughts Posted: Aug 4, 2010 3:56 AM
> > those writing windoze
> > if the entirety of M$
>
> What's with Linux fans? Why do they always resort to
> puerile name calling when talking about Microsoft and
> Windows.

311t3 hax0rs :)

robert young

Re: Threads, processes and concurrency in Python: some thoughts Posted: Aug 4, 2010 8:37 AM
>
> Windows.

Ballmer reference to linux as being both communist and cancer might have something to do with it. That and the snoozing way it's maintained.

Dick Ford

Nickname: roybatty

Re: Threads, processes and concurrency in Python: some thoughts Posted: Aug 5, 2010 10:18 PM
>
> Windows.

Some of them don't want to grow out of their Slashdot youth.

Lou Marco

Nickname: loumarco

I disagree Posted: Sep 2, 2010 11:53 AM
"First of all, I want to say that I believe in the multicore non revolution: I claim that essentially nothing will change for the average programmer with the advent of multicore machines. Actually, the multicore machines are already here and you can already see that nothing has changed."

Yes - I don't see any change. Yet.

However,I'm thinking that in 5 years or so multicores will be the norm. Your bigbox store may sell machines with 16+ cores and, perhaps 128gig+ of memory.

More importantly, the average programmer will have access to parallel programming libraries like the stuff coming out of M$ for .NET. There's likely a spate of such libraries for Java and in the open source space as well (although none come to mind!)

I think it is a matter of teaching and training. The world is parallel. The industry needs to move toward strategies to teach students and aged fogs like myself how to think about exploiting parallelism.

I remember when Objects hit the corporate world (at least my corner of it). There were folk saying that the average programmer could not understand objects and could not effectively develop good object-based applications. Yes, it's an open question as to whether or not the average programmer 'understands' objects but it's a fact that corporate America's IT shops are using object technologies - maybe poorly - to develop mision-critical apps.

I expect the same thing to happen with parallel programming in the near future.

Flat View: This topic has 15 replies on 2 pages [ 1  2 | » ]
Topic: What's new in plac 0.7 Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: Memory debugging in Python -- fighting the GC

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use