The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Weblogs Forum
The Successor to Facebook

8 replies on 1 page. Most recent reply: Dec 24, 2010 10:30 PM by Jim Balter

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 8 replies on 1 page
Bruce Eckel

Nickname: beckel

The Successor to Facebook (View in Weblogs)
Posted: Nov 13, 2010 2:23 PM
Reply to this message Reply
Summary
A follow-up to my previous piece on Facebook.
Advertisement

Posted on Reinventing Business, linked here for those who want to comment here.

Kay Schluehr

Nickname: schluehk

Re: The Successor to Facebook Posted: Nov 13, 2010 9:12 PM
If that means this company will be lean and low-income like Wikipedia, so be it.

I admit I'm completely brainwashed as well and can't think for a moment about not extracting surplus value from someone else, sell my life to the next advertisement company and ponzi scheming all my money to someone who promises me to become a billionaire, but wasn't Wikipedia ( or Wikimedia Foundation ) a non-profit commie organization last time I looked at it?

Troy Bourdon

Nickname: tbourdon

Re: The Successor to Facebook Posted: Nov 14, 2010 6:32 AM
What you're describing Bruce is something very close to Lifestreams. And I don't mean the current ham handed aggregaters like Friend Feed. I'm talking about Dr. Gelernter's original work and what's described in Eric Freeman's dissertation. The sad part is this work was done back in the early to mid 90's and is no closer to implementation now than it was back then.

As for the points in the previous two posts, I agree 100%. Why do I need a 700 gigabyte hard drive if all I'm going to do is store my data on centralized servers so I can share it? It's a rhetorical question because we know the answer; so the "services" providing the storage can shove ads in my face.

Hopefully with technologies like Opera Unite, XMPP and port 5222 someone will figure out the search problems of P2P and I can leave Blogger, Tumbler, Facebook, Flickr and the browser behind and simply click the button 'Make Public' from my desktop when I want to share pictures of my son's ball game.

Dmitry Cheryasov

Nickname: dch

"a non-profit commie organization" Posted: Nov 14, 2010 3:01 PM
Non-profit and low-income, that is, sef million dolars of donations once in a while.

robert young

Nickname: funbunny

Re: The Successor to Facebook Posted: Nov 14, 2010 5:20 PM
> wasn't Wikipedia
> ( or Wikimedia Foundation ) a non-profit commie
> organization last time I looked at it?

And a Good Thing, too. As one of the self-financed millionaire politicians (who, wonderfully, lost) said, "I made my money the old fashioned way, I inherited it".

Wouter Van daele

Nickname: vandaele

Re: The Successor to Facebook Posted: Nov 21, 2010 11:52 AM
Talk to Dave Winer (http://www.scripting.com) - he wants to go that way too (and rightly so).

Mihai Fonoage

Nickname: fonoage81

Re: The Successor to Facebook Posted: Dec 5, 2010 6:35 PM
"The architecture of this system will have to be nothing short of brilliant -- every installation is both a P2P server and (at least to some degree) an application framework (but the right framework; flexible enough and at the same time focused enough). The design is definitely a good use of crowdsourcing."

There is already one (albeit in alpha stage), namely Diaspora (more on it at http://www.readwriteweb.com/archives/diaspora_project_building_the_anti-facebook.php), an open-source, decentralized social network.

Jim Balter

Nickname: jibal

Re: The Successor to Facebook Posted: Dec 24, 2010 10:27 PM
I tend not to spend much time on people who use a lot of exclamation marks.

Jim Balter

Nickname: jibal

Re: The Successor to Facebook Posted: Dec 24, 2010 10:30 PM
Oops, I posted that to the wrong thread and artima doesn't have deletion or editing.

Flat View: This topic has 8 replies on 1 page
Topic: Is software engineering, math, science, or what? Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: Conference: JavaPosse Roundup, Feb 22-25

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use