The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Weblogs Forum
Java 7: Too Little, Too Late?

64 replies on 5 pages. Most recent reply: Jan 30, 2012 10:07 AM by Steve Carmeli

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 64 replies on 5 pages [ 1 2 3 4 5 | » ]
Bruce Eckel

Nickname: beckel

Java 7: Too Little, Too Late? (View in Weblogs)
Posted: Aug 6, 2011 9:37 AM
Reply to this message Reply
Summary
One of the things I've loved about Python is that it was built as a community from the beginning. Language design decisions are genuinely discussed and struggled with as a community. But with Java, I've always felt like the adults were telling me what to think.
Advertisement

I just saw Joe Darcy's JDK 7 in a Nutshell talk (9.5 minutes) from O'Reilly OSCON Java 2011. The new features he talked about were a bit of type inference so that you no longer have to repeat yourself in some of the most egregious ways the language formerly forced us to, and switching on String.

If this had happened 12 years ago, I would have felt like the language was on the right track, trying to make things easier and cleaner for the programmer. Instead, I feel like we got over a decade of being told why all the choices made in Java were the best way and that we should just accept and love them (and many did).

Only now, after years of dissatisfaction that led to more succinct and powerful languages on the JVM, do we finally start seeing some of these fundamental improvements. But it seems like they only happened under extreme duress after a lot of resistance. And perhaps these features might be helpful, but I can't see them stemming the flow away from Java towards other JVM languages for those that no longer want to struggle with the limitations of Java.

For example, in Scala the decision to use type inference is at the core of the language, not an afterthought. So defining an object is about as clean a process as you could hope for. Adding a little inferencing in Java 7 doesn't make a dent by comparison.

With Scala's pattern matching, you can switch on pretty much anything. Someone who is frustrated by the limitations of switching on integral values is not going to see enough of an improvement via string switching.

It's nice that Java is making these improvements. Java made some fundamental shifts in the programming world -- before Java everyone believed that virtual machines and garbage collectors would never be practical, for example. But it seems to me that the world started moving on awhile ago. The productivity and financial benefits of languages like Scala, Groovy, JRuby, Jython and numerous other JVM languages are getting harder and harder to resist.

Morgan Conrad

Nickname: miata71

Re: Java 7: Too Little, Too Late? Posted: Aug 7, 2011 12:20 AM
Scala type inferencing is nice. But I don't understand your concern about the limitations of switch statements in pre-7 Java.

Switch statements are, in general, something to avoid. (e.g. http://c2.com/cgi/wiki?SwitchStatementsSmell)

Making switch statements easier to use just makes them more likely to be used, which is not progress. Use polymorphism instead.

Steve Jav

Nickname: stejav

Re: Java 7: Too Little, Too Late? Posted: Aug 7, 2011 5:23 AM
"But it seems to me that the world started moving on awhile ago."

I haven't seen this shift in the jobs-ads (Dice/jobseek etc). Which indicator(s) should I be looking at to observe the move?

Cheers
SteJav

Morgan Conrad

Re: Java 7: Too Little, Too Late? Posted: Aug 7, 2011 8:48 AM
I have also been skeptical of the benefits of closures, at least the "easy, quick" ones everybody gives in demos. For example, in his OSCON video, Odersky partitions people by age

val (minors, adults) = people partition (_.age < 18)

Such code is extremely sloppy and fragile, (yes, it's just a demo!) and, since it's so "easy", we encourage coders to do it this way. The real rules for the age of majority are complex (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Age_of_majority#Countries_and_subdivisions) and you'd really want to call a method. At that point, the conciseness "advantage" of Scala over Java greatly diminishes.

But Scala's parallel implementation of partition is really cool and strikes me as a major advantage. WHich is starting to make a believer of me.

Kay Schluehr

Nickname: schluehk

Re: Java 7: Too Little, Too Late? Posted: Aug 8, 2011 6:36 AM
> Scala type inferencing is nice. But I don't understand
> your concern about the limitations of switch statements in
> pre-7 Java.
>
> Switch statements are, in general, something to avoid.
> (e.g. http://c2.com/cgi/wiki?SwitchStatementsSmell)
>
> Making switch statements easier to use just makes them
> more likely to be used, which is not progress. Use
> polymorphism instead.

Unless you don't need it.

Daniel Serodio

Nickname: dserodio

Re: Java 7: Too Little, Too Late? Posted: Aug 8, 2011 6:49 AM
> Making switch statements easier to use just makes them
> more likely to be used, which is not progress. Use
> polymorphism instead.

I think this is exactly the "adults telling me what to do" mindset that Bruce mentioned. Let _me_ choose what to use.

Valery Silaev

Nickname: vsilaev

Re: Java 7: Too Little, Too Late? Posted: Aug 8, 2011 12:26 PM
OK, Bruce, you"ve convinced me.
Where can I put a pre-order for Thinking in Scala :-)

Bárður Árantsson

Nickname: somebody

Re: Java 7: Too Little, Too Late? Posted: Aug 10, 2011 7:46 PM
> I have also been skeptical of the benefits of closures, at
> least the "easy, quick" ones everybody gives in demos.
> For example, in his OSCON video, Odersky partitions
> s people by age
>
>
> val (minors, adults) = people partition (_.age < 18)
> 

>
> Such code is extremely sloppy and fragile, (yes, it's just
> a demo!) and, since it's so "easy", we encourage coders to
> do it this way. The real rules for the age of majority
> are complex
> (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Age_of_majority#Countries_and
> _subdivisions) and you'd really want to call a method.
> At
> that point, the conciseness "advantage" of Scala over Java
> greatly diminishes.

So, because this particular example of "age" is complex, you dismiss the entire idea? This is bizarre reasoning.

I can tell you from actual practice, that there are loads and loads of cases where inline lambdas are way more concise and readable than explicit methods/functions. Being able to avoid naming every little ad-hoc data manipulation you do is a big deal. Just compare inline lambdas with e.g. use of Function<F,T> from Google's Guava library.

If your decision procedure and/or function is complex, you can (and probably should) still define an explicit method... but unless you're using it more than once, there's often no need.

Lachlan O'Dea

Nickname: lodea

Re: Java 7: Too Little, Too Late? Posted: Aug 11, 2011 5:31 AM
Java the language is pretty much done changing. The Java 7 changes were just for pain points that happened to be relatively easy to patch over. Closures are the only major new feature we'll see added, mainly to make Fork/Join more usable. A few years ago, closures in Java would have been a big deal, but I'm not sure they'll make that big an impact once they finally arrive in Java 8. By then we'll likely have two or three viable statically-typed JVM languages with closures and a whole lot more (Scala, Ceylon, Kotlin), none of which will require switching to the latest JVM in production.

I'm looking forward to using Java 7 and 8, but for the platform improvements only. The platform matters more than the language now.

Lachlan O'Dea

Nickname: lodea

Re: Java 7: Too Little, Too Late? Posted: Aug 11, 2011 6:11 AM
> I have also been skeptical of the benefits of closures, at
> least the "easy, quick" ones everybody gives in demos.
> For example, in his OSCON video, Odersky partitions
> s people by age
>
> val (minors, adults) = people partition (_.age < 18)
>
> Such code is extremely sloppy and fragile, (yes, it's just
> a demo!) and, since it's so "easy", we encourage coders to
> do it this way. The real rules for the age of majority
> are complex
> (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Age_of_majority#Countries_and
> _subdivisions) and you'd really want to call a method.

I have countless examples in real code where the predicate really is simple. Is there any Java programmer who hasn't found the regular need to lookup objects in a collection by name?
val startingWithA = people filter (_.name.startsWith("A"))

Or extract just one field:
val names = people map (_.name)

> At that point, the conciseness "advantage" of Scala over Java
> greatly diminishes.

You are joking, right? Let's assume the predicate is very complex and is moved to its own method. Scala:
def isMinor(age: Int): Boolean = {
  // oh so complex majority rules
}
val (minors, adults) = people partition (p => isMinor(p.age))

In Java:
public boolean isMinor(int age) {
  // oh so complex majority rules
}
List<Person> minors = new LinkedList<Person>();
List<Person> adults = new LinkedList<Person>();
for (p : people) {
  if (isMinor(p.age))
    minors.add(p);
  else
    adults.add(p);
}

Morgan Conrad

Re: Java 7: Too Little, Too Late? Posted: Aug 11, 2011 9:51 AM
> val startingWithA = people filter(_.name.startsWith("A"))

To answer your question, I've never written code to collect names starting with "A". :-) I'm mainly into mathematical algorithms.

Many of the closure examples use name sorting. And I always ask, what if the person is Chinese and the order of their names is reversed??? IMO, inline closures encourage coders to write code that is harder to enhance and maintain. I avoid Java's anonymous inner classes for similar reasons, and they don't even have the advantage of succinctness.

> > At that point, the conciseness "advantage" of Scala over
> > Java greatly diminishes.
>
> You are joking, right?

Your code (I'm not sure how to quote formatted code so I don't show it) shows that Java is 7 lines longer. If the complex isMinor() code is 70 lines long, the Scala advantage drops from 700% to 10%. I call that greatly diminished.

If that partitioning code appears once in the entire program, that's 7 LOC in tens of thousands. If the code is used more than once, it should be encapsulated in a single method. With some support structures (cause Java can't do multiple returns) and an interface definition, that's maybe 30 lines of code? I believe there are third party libraries too.

In the past, I have not used partitioning into 2 collections, but I have used filtering into a single smaller collection, and that's how I did it.

IMO, the real advantage of Scala closures is not the in-line closures. It's the natural use of closures, in-line or not, in parallel collections. This is a huge advantage, and something that will definitely get me to look deeper into Scala.

Morgan Conrad

Re: Java 7: Too Little, Too Late? Posted: Aug 11, 2011 10:03 AM
BTW, with a last name of "O'Dea" I would think you'd be sensitive to handling slightly unusual names. For example, what if you wanted to process all names by their first three letters. Eventually, your loop get to "Ode".

val startingWith = people filter (_.name.startsWith("Ode"))

That would pick up Martin Odersky. It would not pick up your name. But should it? Or do you have to special case iterate over every "O'A", "O'B", etc... Not to mention all the Mcs and Macs out there, the de Las and Vons and Vans etc...

S. Ochsenreither

Nickname: 74073

Re: Java 7: Too Little, Too Late? Posted: Aug 11, 2011 10:10 AM
Maybe a bit more inflammatory, but closely related:

http://ochsenreither.posterous.com/scala-kotlin-ceylon-lets-start-by-being-hones

Morgan Conrad

Re: Java 7: Too Little, Too Late? Posted: Aug 11, 2011 11:40 AM
@Bárður Árantsson

whose name is also tricky to partition via a simplistic

_.startsWith("A")

Could you please give some good examples of the inline lambdas that you have used? Thanks.

Vincent O'Sullivan

Nickname: vincent

Re: Java 7: Too Little, Too Late? Posted: Aug 11, 2011 12:25 PM
That's a good link. It's a shame that, like you, it's both anonymous and a one-off posting. Still, it's nice to see someone posting with a bit of passion and vitriol and who can tell the difference between new and interesting.

Flat View: This topic has 64 replies on 5 pages [ 1  2  3  4  5 | » ]
Topic: WebSockets: A Glimpse of the Future Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: First Impression: Scala Goodies

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use