The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Weblogs Forum
RE Slashdot: Diamond Age Approaching

2 replies on 1 page. Most recent reply: May 24, 2004 2:02 PM by Dale Asberry

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 2 replies on 1 page
Dale Asberry

Nickname: bozomind

RE Slashdot: Diamond Age Approaching (View in Weblogs)
Posted: May 12, 2004 7:14 AM
Reply to this message Reply
Summary
The future is upon us - will we in IT be able to make the leap from 2 or 3 interacting systems to millions or billions of systems?
Advertisement
After seeing the Slashdot article "Diamond Age Approaching?", I started reminiscing about my college days and my eager desire to make a real difference in the world. In 1989, while studying toward my B.S. degree in physics, I happened upon a copy of K. Eric Drexler's "Engines of Creations". I spent a great deal of my free time researching Physics Review Letters to find anything that was at all relevant. I started to compile lists of graduate schools that were performing the most interesting research and I was getting really excited about the prospects. And then I had Dr. Know It All for solid state physics. Shaw's quip, "Those who can, do; those who can’t, teach" was unfortunately so appropriate with this major pain-in-the-rear. Needless to say, the real world gently nudged me toward my long-time hobby: programming. Now, physics is the hobby and programming is the vocation.

I followed the Slashdot article to the Center for Responsible Nanotechnology's article Medical Benefits of Molecular Nanotechnology and started thinking about how current software development practices and software infrastructure could support this grand vision. It didn't take long to realize that we in the software development industry are significantly unprepared for this brave new world lurking just around the corner. Some in our industry have "seen" this future and are preparing themselves. Jim Waldo is one such visionary and addresses some of these issues in his Seventh Jini Community Meeting presentation, Challenges in Building an Infrastructure for Medical Sensing Networks.

What are you doing to prepare for it?

David Ramsey

Nickname: dlramsey

Re: RE Slashdot: Diamond Age Approaching Posted: May 24, 2004 1:45 PM
You may find this URL interesting, Dale.

http://www.crnano.org/overview.htm

Dale Asberry

Nickname: bozomind

Re: RE Slashdot: Diamond Age Approaching Posted: May 24, 2004 2:02 PM
> You may find this URL interesting, Dale.
>
>
> http://www.crnano.org/overview.htm

Thanks, that's the root link for "Medical Benefits of Molecular Nanotechnology"

Flat View: This topic has 2 replies on 1 page
Topic: Converting a Java Class to a Jini Service Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: Of IDEs and Men

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use