The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Weblogs Forum
Java IDE comparison

2 replies on 1 page. Most recent reply: Aug 27, 2004 7:52 AM by Andrés Escallón

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 2 replies on 1 page
Jack Shirazi

Nickname: jacksjpt

Java IDE comparison (View in Weblogs)
Posted: Aug 27, 2004 2:48 AM
Reply to this message Reply
Summary
There is a "Java IDE shootout" from JavaOne comparing IntelliJ, Eclipse, NetBeans, Emacs and JDeveloper
Advertisement

There is a "Java IDE shootout" from JavaOne 2004 at here (the pdf is available free and fairly detailed). It presents an overview comparison of IntelliJ, Eclipse, NetBeans, Emacs and JDeveloper

Please understand, this is for your information not to start any IDE wars. I'm sure you each have your own favorite IDE, and some of you will prefer to die defending it rather than admit there is any viable alternative.

Personally I have to be IDE agnostic because I have to use whatever my customers are using - though surprisingly often now there is a choice. It used to be that when I went consulting, a site would have mandated one IDE, and there was a big process which they went through to select that IDE (you could tell because it left visible scars on some developers). Nowadays, almost every site I get to has no mandated Java IDE, instead you can choose one from a list - or whatever you want in some cases - as long as you can integrate it into the existing development process.

I went to a lot of different sites over the years. It used to be the emacs IDE guys who were the loudest about how great their IDE was. Nowadays it is the IntelliJ guys. And I do mean guys, none of the female developers I met used to spout on about her IDE being the best.

Dee Zsombor

Nickname: zsombor

Re: Java IDE comparison Posted: Aug 27, 2004 5:08 AM
In my experience questions like which IDE/editor/language/whatewer is the best, are related more to religion than real technical merits ...

Andrés Escallón

Nickname: aescallon

Re: Java IDE comparison Posted: Aug 27, 2004 7:52 AM
I have been using for a while “CodeGuide”, a Java IDE from a German company, that really improves productivity in comparison with most of the others mentioned. In some respects may not be as generic and complete than others but with complete project analysis on the fly, showing the impact on the whole project as you type, hot swap debugging, froward and backwards in expression debugging and a very good refactoring function my productivity really improved in comparison with the other IDEs.

http://www.omnicore.com

Flat View: This topic has 2 replies on 1 page
Topic: Thoughts on Change at 35,000 feet Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: What Would You Ask James Gosling?

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use