The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Weblogs Forum
J2EE, Enlightenment and the way forward

1 reply on 1 page. Most recent reply: Apr 12, 2005 10:26 PM by Gurdev Parmar

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 1 reply on 1 page
Calum Shaw-Mackay

Nickname: calum

J2EE, Enlightenment and the way forward (View in Weblogs)
Posted: Mar 7, 2005 7:10 AM
Reply to this message Reply
Summary
I really can't care about EJB3 and J2EE. In emphasis, not that I shouldn't care about J2EE, but that practically, even spiritually, I can't care about J2EE - apathy is a terrifying thing
Advertisement
So here I am, sat in the office, having read the latest weblogs from TSSS, and the horrifying, nay terrifying, fact is, I don't care about J2EE, aspects and annotations, because, well basically, it's all so distracting.

Distracting? Yes distracting (Oops this is turning into a narrative [ I say narrative because I don't want to say the dreaded rant word]). The point is because we concern ourselves unceasingly with which framework we should use, for this and that, that we lose sight of what we're really after - getting the job done. We as programmers are paid (whether that is in monetary terms, kudos, or otherwise - it's all the same to me), to get the job done - that's it. It's so easy to tell us why J2EE projects fail..... Instead, why don't you tell us how J2EE projects succeed. Ah, thought not.....

And this is the problem, we, as Java programmers, have so many choices, that we tend to focus so much on telling everyone else why their project has gone down the sh*tpan, because they zinged instead of zagged (even if it does the job), that we forget to a) actually give adequate reasons why we believe their project has gone down the sh*tpan and b) say what we did, in similar circumstances, to make it work in light of these issues.

We are as pessimistic as we are vocal. And pessimism leads to doubt. And doubt can lead to negativity. And negativity can ultimately lead to revolt. Rather than sit about saying that someone went wrong here.... why don't you start telling them why, and more importantly how, your solution is better. You must enlighten people, not berate them. Stop telling people they are wrong, and instead, try to tell them why you are right...... you may be surprised.

And now to why I can't care about J2EE - I've made my choice, and I'm going to back it, otherwise I'll never learn anything other than what other people have told me. And although listening to people informed on the subject at hand is a good thing, some things you just have to learn yourself, and if you're constantly changing direction, that will never happen.
I suggest you make your choice, if you haven't already, and more importantly, you respect that other people can and will make different decisions, and observations, to yours....

Gurdev Parmar

Nickname: gsp

Re: J2EE, Enlightenment and the way forward Posted: Apr 12, 2005 10:26 PM
Reply to this message Reply
Firstly, the motivation behind all frameworks is not just to
get the work done but to do it right so that later
changes may be accomodated with less damage. So, if
you feel bogged by this framework then maybe you have
a problem with OO too and many other techniques.

Secondly, I felt that you didn't give enough support for
your arguements.

Personally, I am bogged with so many frameworks. And I
feel that there is a lot of scope for a consolidation
in the J2EE domain. My contention is give us less choice
but solid choices.

-Gurdev

Flat View: This topic has 1 reply on 1 page
Topic: Introductions: Rants, Ravings and Ruminations Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: Overloading operator&() in C++

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use