The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Weblogs Forum
Fractal Duality and the Nature of the Universe

19 replies on 2 pages. Most recent reply: Oct 16, 2011 8:42 PM by Eoin Griffin

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 19 replies on 2 pages [ « | 1 2 ]
Matt Gerrans

Nickname: matt

Re: Fractal Duality and the Nature of the Universe Posted: Jan 1, 2006 6:12 PM
Reply to this message Reply
Advertisement
> Do mystics intuitvely see triality ...
Not only do they see trialities, they see trivialities and then they parley these into deep mystical things expressed with lots of vague but intellectual-sounding words. This way, when you don't understand what the heck they are talking about, you won't say "hogwash," but instead believe that they have a deeper understanding of the universe than you do and shell out some cash to become enlighted at their seminars.

Cleo Saulnier

Nickname: vorlath

Re: Fractal Duality and the Nature of the Universe Posted: Jan 2, 2006 1:24 AM
You talk about radical thinking. At least I think it was you who said it. Anyways, is "time" necessary for movement of an object? I don't think so. The only reason we think time exists is because we have memory. There is only relative movement. Because really, what are we using as time but the relative movement of the clock needle or the movement of cesium atoms. I don't believe in time other than a nice abstraction for us humans to be able to predict our own movements because without memory, we'd be lost.

The fact that there is a before and after does not necessitate "time" a physical quantity, only movement. How's that for radical? Most people can't wrap their brains around that idea.

Matt Gerrans

Nickname: matt

Re: Fractal Duality and the Nature of the Universe Posted: Jan 3, 2006 11:53 PM
> The only reason we think time exists is because we have memory.

It's not that simple. We can conceive of time before and after our own memory. We can conceive of time involved in things that have nothing to do with our own memories (like the time it takes a CPU to calculate 1 + 1). Moreover, our memories can be very fuzzy and yet we still understand time. I mean, for example, you may remember several childhood events and you may have them completely out of sequence; on top of that, you may modify the sequence of those memories based on discussions with others (your friends or family, with whom you reminisce and insist on a different order of events and at some point you begin to believe in that order).

> The fact that there is a before and after does not necessitate "time" a physical quantity, only movement. How's that for radical? Most people can't wrap their brains around that idea.

And you can? That probably only means you need to take a physics course or two. Movement is defined in terms of space and time, so without time, there is no movement.

Brantley Harris

Nickname: brantley

Re: Fractal Duality and the Nature of the Universe Posted: Feb 1, 2006 8:50 AM
Of course a phenomenon has duality; without at least two dynamic aspects, a phenomenon is not a phenomenon. Pushing against an object that does not push back is merely walking, so there is nothing to speak of.

Furthermore our mind naturally simplifies nth-degree dimensions into a construction of single dimensions. And each dimension will of course have two aspects, negative and positive.

In other words, you can't have cold without hot, because cold is dependant on the experience of hot. Nothing is always offset by the ten-thousand things. This is where your physics meets the Tao, and the Tao pwns it.

Eoin Griffin

Nickname: egriffin

Re: Fractal Duality and the Nature of the Universe Posted: Oct 16, 2011 8:42 PM
Dale, I'm a fellow physics-loving programmer, and i think that fact makes our thought processes similar enough that we both reached this same conclusion, albeit by completely different paths.
I reached the same conclusion very recently of the fractal nature of the universe and the pattern i'm seeing in everything since that day is absolutely blowing my mind.

I've been told by several people that i should write my theory down, but some simple research has shown me that i am by no means the first person to figure this out. On top of that, each time i've tried to explain it to someone, i thought i had them with me for a while, and then i realised they were missing something vital. The problem is that i had to talk in words and analogies. You put it well when you said "Every problem I ever solved was nothing more than a gross simplification of the real system I was modeling."
I used a similar analogy just yesterday when discussing this with a friend. Mine was that by attempting to teach this concept i'm painting a simplified picture of the universe (for obvious reasons) and every time someone asks me another question about the painting, it's like they're saying "Oh, but this isn't the universe, you forgot pluto." or "but this isn't the universe. Where's religion in this painting?". The task of writing it down and being completely accurate with it is an impossible one unfortunately, but if someone thinks like you do, this short snippet will be enough. The more details you add, the more it clouds the core idea.
I think you know what i mean by that. You've probably had a similar experience yourself.

Anyway, just wanted to thank you for being one of the people to write this down in a similar way to what i would have done. Having different methods of reaching the same conclusion is inevitable, but this one will help programmers and logical thinkers like ourselves.

I'm currently struggling with the concept of duality too, it's quite a tricky one, but at the very least, seeing the fractal pattern of the universe has already made me a better programmer :)

You might find this video worth watching. From a wiser man than us (and he also IS us at the same time :D ). I hope you haven't ended your exploration just yet.

Flat View: This topic has 19 replies on 2 pages [ « | 1  2 ]
Topic: JavaScript Redux (and Closures) Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: JavaOne 2011 - Day 2

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use