The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Java Buzz Forum
Which two features do you want to see in Tap 4.0?

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
Warner Onstine

Nickname: warnero

Warner Onstine is Java programmer and writer of two tech books
Which two features do you want to see in Tap 4.0? Posted: May 6, 2005 11:01 AM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Java Buzz by Warner Onstine.
Original Post: Which two features do you want to see in Tap 4.0?
Feed Title: Tapestry Live
Feed URL: http://www.jroller.com/WarnerOnstine/feed/entries/rss
Feed Description: Home of the Tapestry Live book by Warner Onstine.
Latest Java Buzz Posts
Latest Java Buzz Posts by Warner Onstine
Latest Posts From Tapestry Live

Advertisement

So, there is a discussion going on right now on the Tapestry Users list about which two features you would like to see fixed. The initial question is posited below by Patrick Casey:

Suggestion 1: Fix Rewind

There are other web gui frameworks I've worked with (.NET for one) that don't have all the rewind problems that Tapestry does. For .NET at least, they solve the solution by "packing" all the data on a form into a compressed serialized form and sending it off on a hidden field. They then reconstruct the form off of that serialized hidden field rather than off of session memory so they avoid stale links, the need to keep crap around in session memory, and the ever-present danger in a multi-user system that somebody else might have changed the data in question between the time a form as rendered and the time it was rewound.

I understand that you can do something vaguely like this via datasqueezers, but it's far from a transparent implementation. I'd dearly love for Tapestry rewinds to "just work" every time by default.

Suggestion 2: Better Defaulting

Right now in Tapestry, I have to fill in a lot of fairly repetitive data to set up a form/page combination. It's certainly not an J2EE configuration, but it's still a bit of a pain in the posterior if you ask me. I'd love the ability for the system to have an intelligent defaulting convention that I as a developer, could optionally use if I didn't want to specify anything. To take advantage of this defaulting behavior I'd probably have to follow some (fairly strict) naming and file structure rules, but then I'm not *forced* to do so, I can always use my own conventions and name everything myself in the .page files.

My response was this:

Here are the two that I would love to see get fixed:

1) Better validation and field labeling - I know Paul is working on this so I will be digging into it for the book most definitely

Specifically I would like to see the following:
The ability to conditionally validate a field (ie - one field has a particular value which means a second field now needs to be validated)

2) Get rid of the flat-file nature of templates and page files - I believe that this is being fixed in the next release

So, what would you like to see?

Read: Which two features do you want to see in Tap 4.0?

Topic: A Nice Lightweight UML Java Program Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: New York Times Reporter has spelling blues - Blogger versus reporter

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use