The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Java Buzz Forum
PeopleOverProcess.com: Memo to IT Departments: Why Block IRC?

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
Michael Cote

Nickname: bushwald

Cote is a programmer in Austin, Texas.
PeopleOverProcess.com: Memo to IT Departments: Why Block IRC? Posted: Nov 14, 2006 12:04 PM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Java Buzz by Michael Cote.
Original Post: PeopleOverProcess.com: Memo to IT Departments: Why Block IRC?
Feed Title: Cote's Weblog: Coding, Austin, etc.
Feed URL: https://cote.io/feed/
Feed Description: Using Java to get to the ideal state.
Latest Java Buzz Posts
Latest Java Buzz Posts by Michael Cote
Latest Posts From Cote's Weblog: Coding, Austin, etc.

Advertisement

Reading over Steve's fine Q&A on yesterday's Java news I noticed the frequency that he mentioned an IRC channel, and not just our own, #redmonk. While we've had more success with #redmonk than any of us expected -- and we have the #redmonk community to thank for that, they're the ones who drive discussions there much more than us -- one of the big let downs for me is that many IT shops block IRC access. This means that many of my developer pals, architects, and others who in the confines of a fire-wall can't participate.

Which is not only a shame for us and #redmonk, but for those companies as well. For example, there was a highly interactive Q&A in one of Sun's IRC channels yesterday, and it's continuing into today. That is, if you were one of these fire-wall protected folks, you're missing out on the chance to talk directly with Sun people about open sourcing Java.

Instead, of course, I guess you can pay for information and access (or read our blogs ;>). That's a little over the top in selling this port un-blocking, but blocking IRC creates barriers to accessing the development community that companies could be directly profiting from.

There are web front-ends to IRC (I'm too inpatient to set one up) and there's even Campfire. But, there's nothing quite like the raw-firehose (and scale when it comes to Campfire) that IRC affords.

Sure, there's piracy and all sorts of hijinks to worry about, but come one, surely that's no reason to cut off an information flow that will give companies quick and free access to information and people who can help make them successful.

Tags: , , ,

Read: PeopleOverProcess.com: Memo to IT Departments: Why Block IRC?

Topic: GNUARM ToolChain PLugin Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: SQuirreL SQL Client 2.3.1 Stable

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use