The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Java Buzz Forum
Why NULL is special

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
Charles Miller

Nickname: carlfish

Charles Miller is a Java nerd with a weblog
Why NULL is special Posted: Jan 30, 2009 5:25 AM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Java Buzz by Charles Miller.
Original Post: Why NULL is special
Feed Title: The Fishbowl
Feed URL: https://fishbowl.pastiche.org/atom.xml
Feed Description: tail -f /dev/mind > blog
Latest Java Buzz Posts
Latest Java Buzz Posts by Charles Miller
Latest Posts From The Fishbowl

Advertisement

Seen on Twitter today:

Well thank you postgres - ‘where from_date <> thru_date’ ignores records when thru_date is null. I can haz 2 hours back pls?

This is one of those things that always seems un-intuitive to developers who aren't familiar with SQL. I've heard a lot of explanations for it over the years, but this is probably the most succinct I've come across, thanks to Matt Ryall on the Atlassian intranet.

…there's actually a reason for this distinction. They're not equivalent at all, because NULL isn't a value that you can be equal to. It represents a value that is undefined.

For example, if my date-of-birth in a database is NULL (because it's unknown) and so it yours, they shouldn't be considered the same. They're two different, undefined values. A query where this might happen is:

select s1.name, s2.name from staff s1, staff s2 where s1.id != s2.id and s1.dob = s2.dob

Or, in the previous example, there's a difference between records where the thru_date is definitely not equal to the from_date, and ones where you just don't know.

Read: Why NULL is special

Topic: Containerization Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: Links for 2009-01-24 [del.icio.us]

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use