The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Java Buzz Forum
Spotlight: Replays of GlassFish Roadmap Presentation Now Available

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
News Manager

Nickname: newsman

News Manager is the force behind the news at Artima.com.
Spotlight: Replays of GlassFish Roadmap Presentation Now Available Posted: Apr 12, 2010 10:26 AM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Java Buzz by News Manager.
Original Post: Spotlight: Replays of GlassFish Roadmap Presentation Now Available
Feed Title: Java Today
Feed URL: http://weblogs.java.net/blog/editors/index.rdf
Feed Description: Java Today on java.net
Latest Java Buzz Posts
Latest Java Buzz Posts by News Manager
Latest Posts From Java Today

Advertisement

This week's java.net Spotlight is Replays for GlassFish Roadmap Now Available, which was recently posted by Eduardo Pelegri-Llopart on TheAquarium blog:

The replays from our presentation on the GlassFish Roadmap are now available in different formats, including SlideCast (Slides with synchronized audio):

PDF and FAQ
Direct PDF link
• SlideCast English, French, Spanish.
• MP3 direct links English, French, Spanish

It's pretty nice when presentation replays are made available in multiple languages!

I watched and listened to the presentation on the replay announcement page Eduardo posted. The 14-slide presentation is titled "March 2010 Community Update: GlassFish Roadmap." The audio lasts just over 30 minutes.

The presentation starts with a few disclaimers, some history, and responses to recent FUD (Fear, Uncertainty, and Doubt). Then the roadmap outline is presented, including the initial 100 day releases (first level Oracle integration of acquired products) and upcoming feature releases.

If you haven't been following GlassFish news, you might be surprised to find that not much has been changed by Oracle's acquisition of Sun. In terms of strategy, GlassFish is moving forward in pretty much the same directions that were in place before the acquisition was announced. Most importantly, the uncertainty about GlassFish's future is now eliminated.

Major upcoming releases include:

• GlassFish 3.1 (2010) - featuring centralized admin, cluster support, state replication, and coherence support
  • GlassFish 3.2 (2011) - featuring improved cluster/High-Availability (HA) admin, integration with Oracle Identity Management, and some Java EE specification updates
  • GlassFish 4 - featuring a common server platform (shared best of breed with WebLogic Server) and Java EE 7

At the end of the presentation, Eduardo says he plans to provide monthly updates to keep the GlassFish community informed on the GlassFish roadmap as it evolves. Stay tuned!

In Java Today, Kirill Grouchnikov talks about Scrollable popup menus in Flamingo 5.0:

The command button component is a central building block for the Flamingo component suite. It aims to address the deficiencies of the core Swing button components, adding features expected by the modern applications. While the main goal of Flamingo is to provide a pure Java implementation of the Office 2007 ribbon container, the command buttons can certainly be used outside the ribbon. Command buttons can be configured to have two separate areas – action and popup. This allows the application to use command buttons as drop-in replacement for Swing core buttons...

Alexis Moussine-Pouchkine provides TechDays St. Petersburg 2010, a quick recap:

I have now participated to several Tech Days in Saint Petersburg and it's impressive to see the constant growth in attendance (4000+ participants this year!) and interest for Java EE and GlassFish. It's getting harder every year to get off the stage with the number of people asking questions ;) On the first day I made my way into the "technology showcase" demos right before the keynote to show GlassFish v3 update center and development features...

Shai Almog is Back On The Touch:

I always liked the aesthetics of the iPhone back behavior, placing the back button as a small arrow within the title bar is a stroke of UI design genius. I don't share Apple's disdain for physical buttons so I'm much more in favor of a physical back button, however having that button in the title area is both handy and none intrusive...

In the Weblogs, Markus Karg considers the Impact of JDBC use on transaction performance:

If you wonder whether the style of use with JDBC API has an impact of performance, you might like to read my latest blog entry on Head Crashing Informatics. While the entry mostly is about tuning SQL Anywhere's BLOB handling performance, it contains an interesting aspect: There are three ways to deal with BLOBs in JDBC...

Kohsuke Kawaguchi presents his latest POTD: Custom Access Modifier:

My project of the day (or "POTD") is Custom Access Modifier — an annotation and an enforcer that lets you define application-defined custom access modifiers. So let me explain this a bit more. Say you have a library that people use, and say you are thinking about deprecating one of the methods. Yes, you can just put @Deprecated, but that doesn't actually prevent people from continuing to use them. This is where you can put the custom access modifier, like this...

Gabriele Carcassi discusses Two problems with generics in Java:

Since generics were out and I started using them, there were always a few cases in which I couldn't make them do what I wanted. I always thought it was my problem, and that I didn't understand what was going on... Turns out: it's not. There are at least two things that are implemented in a way that break what I thought were very safe expectations...

In the Forums, devjaxws asks if it's Possible to change local ip in Jax ws client?: Hi, I would like to simulate a number of clients that are using unique ip-addresses. For each Post request that is sent I would like to change the local-ip. Is there a way to do this with jax-ws? ...

In the LWUIT forum, akkishivani asks How do i flip my tabbedPane to Verticle....: Hi all. i am using about 10 to 12 TabbedPane in my project , can anybdy tell me that how to convert it vertically. Is there any method or controls or anything that can help me.......

In the GlassFish forum, Hassan Schroeder has questions regarding "generated" directories: Hi, I'm trying to get a Rails app running on Glassfish V3, WAR file deployment, and having a problem I believe is related to having a bad version of rack, namely ...

Our Spotlight this week is Replays for GlassFish Roadmap Now Available:

Eduardo Pelegri-Llopart announces: "The replays from our presentation on the GlassFish Roadmap are now available in different formats, including SlideCast (Slides with synchronized audio)..."

This week's java.net Poll asks How many desktop computers do you own? The poll will close on Friday.

Our latest Feature Article is: HTML5 Server-Push Technologies, Part 1 by Gregor Roth; this two-part series explains the new Server-Sent Events and WebSockets API in HTML5. We're also featuring Flexible Swing Reporting Using JIDE Aggregate and Pivot Tables, by Malcolm Davis (in which you learn about a Swing report alternative that provides 90% of the solution with 10% of the effort); and Getting Started with Java and SQLite on Blackberry OS 5.0 by Java Champion Bruce Hopkins (learn how to create applications that utilize SQLite on Blackberry OS 5.0).

Current and upcoming Java Events:

Registered users can submit event listings for the java.net Events Page using our events submission form. All submissions go through an editorial review before being posted to the site.

Archives and Subscriptions: This blog is delivered weekdays as the Java Today RSS feed. Also, once this page is no longer featured as the front page of java.net it will be archived along with other past issues in the java.net Archive.

-- Kevin Farnham
O'Reilly Media
Twitter: @kevin_farnham

Read: Spotlight: Replays of GlassFish Roadmap Presentation Now Available

Topic: Maven pom.xml editor new features Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: Maven Generate actions for pom.xml editor

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use