The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Java Buzz Forum
Generic Rotation in Scala

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
Wilfred Springer

Nickname: springerw

Wilfred Springer is a Software Architect at Xebia
Generic Rotation in Scala Posted: Feb 9, 2012 2:16 PM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Java Buzz by Wilfred Springer.
Original Post: Generic Rotation in Scala
Feed Title: Distributed Reflections of the Third Kind
Feed URL: http://blog.flotsam.nl/feeds/posts/default
Feed Description: Distributed Reflections of the Third Kind
Latest Java Buzz Posts
Latest Java Buzz Posts by Wilfred Springer
Latest Posts From Distributed Reflections of the Third Kind

Advertisement

My son is preparing a talk on cryptography. I told him I would write some code for demo purposes, and we decided to start with a simple substitution cipher, one that - according to history - was used by Julius Ceasar. It's a really simple mechanism: you just rotate an alphabet and replace every character in your message with the character in the rotated alphabet.

I figured it would be really easy to do in Scala. I mean, rotation on a collection should be fairly easy to implement, right? Well, it is, but not if you want to write it in such a way that the output collection is of the same type as the input collection. I mean, you could define the input parameter as a Seq[T], but then - if you would pass in a String - you would not get a String as a result. So what do you do?

After some poking around, I eventually managed to write a rotation function that behaves as you would expect.

def rotate[A,C](coll: C, number: Int)(
implicit c2i: C => Iterable[A], cbf: collection.generic.CanBuildFrom[C,A,C]
): Option[C] =
if (coll.hasDefiniteSize) {
val positions = number % coll.size match {
case i if i < 0 => i + coll.size
case i => i
}
val builder = cbf()
builder ++= coll.drop(positions)
builder ++= coll.take(positions)
Some(builder.result())
} else None

Since rotation only works for collections of a definite size, and since not all collections have a definite size, it returns a None in case the collection does not have a definitive size. By default, it rotates to the left. By passing a negative number, you rotate right.

scala> rotate(List(1, 2, 3, 4), 2)
res15: Option[List[Int]] = Some(List(3, 4, 1, 2))

scala> rotate("abcdefghi", 2)
res16: Option[java.lang.String] = Some(cdefghiab)

scala> rotate("abcdefghi", -2) // Rotate right
res17: Option[java.lang.String] = Some(hiabcdefg)

Read: Generic Rotation in Scala

Topic: Running 32-bit JavaFX 2.1 Beta SDK On 64-bit Ubuntu 11.10 Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: 5 hot specialties for software developers

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use