The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Java Buzz Forum
DTD Resolution Be Gone!

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
Wilfred Springer

Nickname: springerw

Wilfred Springer is a Software Architect at Xebia
DTD Resolution Be Gone! Posted: Feb 9, 2012 4:15 PM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Java Buzz by Wilfred Springer.
Original Post: DTD Resolution Be Gone!
Feed Title: Distributed Reflections of the Third Kind
Feed URL: http://blog.flotsam.nl/feeds/posts/default
Feed Description: Distributed Reflections of the Third Kind
Latest Java Buzz Posts
Latest Java Buzz Posts by Wilfred Springer
Latest Posts From Distributed Reflections of the Third Kind

Advertisement
I just read Cay Horstmanns post on The Sordid Tale of XML Catalogs. I could agree more: it's a mess. Not to so long ago, I had to write some software for pulling down XML content from a web site. I used Nathan Hamblan's Dispatch library and Scala's built-in support for traversing an XML document the easy way. And immediately noticed that parsing the document did take way more time than it should. It turns out that upon parsing the document, the parser pulled down a whole slew of DTDs and entity definitions. My first response was to find a way to bake a Catalog based resolver in somewhere. But then - I'm not particularly font of the current implementations. (Are they even maintained.) And since this was pure production, I had to make it working as quickly as possible. So this is what I did to get out of the mess:First of all, I defined a trait:

trait NoDtdResolution extends XMLLoader[Node] {

override def parser = {
val f = SAXParserFactory.newInstance()
f.setNamespaceAware(false)
f.setValidating(false)
val result = f.newSAXParser()
val reader = result.getXMLReader
reader.setFeature("http://apache.org/xml/features/nonvalidating/load-external-dtd", false)
result
}

}
Normally, in Scala, you would load an XML document like this:

XML.load(...)
However, if you do it like that, you will get a parser that downloads the DTDs as well. And I don't want that. With the trait I created, I could load an XML document like this:

val loader = new NoBindingFactoryAdapter with NoDtdResolution
loader.load(...)
... without the DTDs being resolved. (I guess you could do something similar to install a catalog.) Which it great, but unfortunately, it doesn't make Dispatch aware of it. So, in dispatch, if you use the <> operator, it will still download the XML file and parse with DTD loading activated. So I needed another operator: one that uses a NoBindingFactoryAdapter without DTD resolution:

trait ImplicitXmlHandlers extends ImplicitHandlerVerbs {
implicit def handlerToXmlHandlers(r: HandlerVerbs) = new XmlHandlers(r)
implicit def requestToXmlHandlers(r: Request) = new XmlHandlers(r)
}

object XmlHandlers extends ImplicitXmlHandlers

class XmlHandlers(subject: HandlerVerbs) {

private val tolerantAdapter = new NoBindingFactoryAdapter with NoDtdResolution

def <|>[T](fn: NodeSeq => T) = subject >>~ { reader =>
fn(tolerantAdapter.load(reader))
}

}
With that in place, I can now use Dispatch without worrying about DTDs getting loaded:

Http(url(...) <|> {
xml =>
})
... where I was using this before:

Http(url(...) <> {
xml =>
})

Read: DTD Resolution Be Gone!

Topic: Top 10 examples of find command in unix and linux Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: Choosing Between Vaadin and JSF

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use