The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Java Buzz Forum
Flash Development

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
Nick Lothian

Nickname: nicklothia

Nick Lothian is Java Developer & Team Leader
Flash Development Posted: Jul 6, 2003 10:48 PM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Java Buzz by Nick Lothian.
Original Post: Flash Development
Feed Title: BadMagicNumber
Feed URL: http://feeds.feedburner.com/Badmagicnumber
Feed Description: Java, Development and Me
Latest Java Buzz Posts
Latest Java Buzz Posts by Nick Lothian
Latest Posts From BadMagicNumber

Advertisement

For assorted reasons, I need to learn Flash programming. I'm not interested in creating little movies or stuff like that - all I want is to use Flash MX like your average 4GL IDE, and then do some Flash Remoting.

I'm sorry, but the Flash MX IDE sux for developers. Why do I need to care about timelines, and having my buttons play movies (what's with the obsession with movies, BTW?). I don't care about timelines, or layers or frames per second.

Why can't I put a button on a form, double click on it an see the code it calls? VB, C#.NET, Delphi and PowerBuilder all work like that - you might think that it was that way for a good reason! But NO! Macromedia now requires me to think like a designer or something.

The weird thing is that Flash MX seems to have everything an IDE needs - there is a Components pane, a Properties pane, an Actions pane and a visual form designer. They just don't seem to work like I'd expect.

For example:

1. I put a button on a form. It appears there, and dosn't do anything weird. Good!
  2. I double click on it, and nothing happens. Not Good. But I look down, and there in the Properties pane is it says "Click Handler". Looking Hopeful.
  3. I double-click the "Click Handler" thing, and it enables me to type in the space next to it. Very Hopeful.
  4. I type "testHandler" and press enter. Nothing weird happens, so I presume I have a testHandler function created. I'm getting excited now!
  5. I double-click on the testHandler thing, hoping to get taken to where I can enter the code. Nothing happens. Hmmmm.
  6. But wait - there is an "Actions" pane! It says "Actions for testButton (PushButton)". Okay...
  7. I press the little "+" button, and it brings up a menu. I muck around with this for a bit, and I get some code that looks like:
    onClipEvent (mouseUp) { testButton.setLabel("The Name"); }
  8. I try running the movie, and pressing the button doesn't do anything. Depressing. I muck around with the code a lot, and it still doesn't do anything Very Depressing.
  9. arhrhrhhhhh!
  10. I quit in Flash MX in disgust.

Now obviously Flash can detect a button press and then do something. This means either I'm stupid, or that I'm missing some important concept that I need to understand to use Flash. I think it's the second option (could well be wrong, though), and I guess I'll just keep trying until I figure it out. (Don't suggest the help - it doesn't.)

My point is that it shouldn't be this hard! It took me less time to figure out how to do the same thing in C/Motif than in Flash, and that (a) didn't have an IDE, and (b) was on a AMD586, on Linux, using Lestif instead of Motif.

I think the key to it all is that "testHandler" on the button. If I could figure out where the code for that is hidden then I think I'd be okay.

Read: Flash Development

Topic: XML Namespaces - it continues Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: Benchmarks for Handsets-J2ME Games

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use