The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Java Buzz Forum
More Debian and Gnome coolness

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
Carlos Villela

Nickname: cvillela

Carlos Villela is a Java developer working mostly with web technologies and AOP.
More Debian and Gnome coolness Posted: Jul 28, 2003 4:31 PM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Java Buzz by Carlos Villela.
Original Post: More Debian and Gnome coolness
Feed Title: That's sooo '82!
Feed URL: http://www.jroller.com/rss/cv?catname=Technical
Feed Description: Carlos Villela's weblog. Everyday life, everyday software development, everyday musings.
Latest Java Buzz Posts
Latest Java Buzz Posts by Carlos Villela
Latest Posts From That's sooo '82!

Advertisement
I'm still on a honeymoon with my Linux setup in this laptop. Despite still having loads of trouble trying to make some parts work (the usual suspects: modem, sound, usb, firewire, dvdrw...), I'm loving this Gnome thingie more and more.

Today I decided I'd put my video card to work well under X - with proper drivers, instead of the generic VESA one. After some two or three google searches, I found that I needed to upgrade my X installation. Fair enough.... I went to www.apt-get.org, looked for a shiny experimental build of XFree86 4.3.0, and loaded it up. Changing "vesa" to "radeon" in /etc/X11/XFree86Config-4 worked the first time I tried it. Sah-weeet!

So, fellas, if you are willing to buy a new laptop, take a good look at those Sony Vaios. So far, this PCG-GRV680 with Gnome 2 and Debian is definitely beating the living shit out a PowerBook with MacOS X in speed and I-can-get-stuff-done-with-it-ability, and costed something like $500 less than an Apple laptop with roughly the same features.

PS: Ok, Mac zealots, you can start with the threatening and finger-pointing now... but if you want to talk about eye-candiness, is your mouse cursor translucent? I don't think so :)

Read: More Debian and Gnome coolness

Topic: OSCON Presentation Downloads Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: JLCA 2.0 is out

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use