The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Java Buzz Forum
Covey's Seven Habits book

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
Scott Stirling

Nickname: sstirling

Scott Stirling is a Senior Software Engineer at Workscape, Inc.
Covey's Seven Habits book Posted: Jul 28, 2003 8:47 PM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Java Buzz by Scott Stirling.
Original Post: Covey's Seven Habits book
Feed Title: Blaug Blawg Blog
Feed URL: http://users.rcn.com/scottstirling/rss.xml
Feed Description: Java Testing, Tools and Engineering
Latest Java Buzz Posts
Latest Java Buzz Posts by Scott Stirling
Latest Posts From Blaug Blawg Blog

Advertisement

I think the first book I read like this, i.e., in the genre of "self help" on the edge of psychology, spirituality, and, heh, rhetoric was my dad's copy of Dale Carnegie's How to Win Friends and Influence People when I was about 11.

I half-heartedly borrowed a copy of Stephen Covey's most famous book, The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People, from my mother last time I visited. I guess I pick up something like this every once in a while out of malaise or boredom, as many people do. It covers a lot of the usual territory, but is unusually well done for its sort (which in my experience can often be nauseatingly sweet or brainlessly fluffy). One aspect of why it's good might be that Covey is grounded in the humanist, classical and post-classical tradition of success through character rather than personality. He makes a big point of that fact. It's not about changing your attitude (though that's part of it), but about recognizing and choosing good principles to live by and ingraining them into your character through the establishment of good habits (very classic, Aristotelian and Ciceronean virtue ethics).

An interesting aside mentioned in the book is that Covey did an "in-depth" study of all the motivational/self-help/success literature published in the U.S. since 1776. Covey admits openly in the first chapter that none of the principles taught in the book are original, and they sure aren't (except in the naming and numbering of them). But he's really done a good job of bringing these classic, fundamental principles to light in a modern, secular book. For me it's not only the habits but the anecdotes, quotes, exercies and arguments that make the book enjoyable and engaging.

Geez, I sound like a commercial. Anyway, good book. I'm trying to apply its principles to my own life as I see fit. Definitely worth a look if you're in the mood for that sort of thing.

Here's a quick summary of the 7 habits Covey recognizes: The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People

Read: Covey's Seven Habits book

Topic: How to seem smarter Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: OSCON Presentation Downloads

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use