The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Java Buzz Forum
Manager != Technical Manager

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
Nanik

Nickname: nanik

Seasoned Contractor for J2EE
Manager != Technical Manager Posted: Jul 28, 2003 11:22 PM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Java Buzz by Nanik.
Original Post: Manager != Technical Manager
Feed Title: Nanik's Weblog
Feed URL: http://sedoparking.com/search/registrar.php?domain=®istrar=sedopark
Feed Description: Java, J2EE, Open Source, Cafe and other
Latest Java Buzz Posts
Latest Java Buzz Posts by Nanik
Latest Posts From Nanik's Weblog

Advertisement
Today morning on the way to work I was thinking - what makes a good manager ?. I've been working in numerous companies and one thing I found out is that if your manager have got IT background it's easier to talk (both technically and non-technically) to him, also he/she understands you better. But, if your manager is a person who think JAVA is a coffee then you are going to have a rough ride in front of you.

I'm lucky that my current manager is a technical guy so he knows what I'm facing and understand what I'm talking about and he is able to sympathize to the developer better, because he have been in their shoes before. I had a manager before where he was good at what he do, but when it comes to understanding problem that we as a developer face he does not want to know or pretend that the problem I'm explaining is actually not a problem but an excuse. Can you imagine how much energy you have to take out to convience this bozo.

Being a manager is totally different thing than being a developer. A manager will look after thing and sometimes you need to have that "6 Sense" where you can emphatize with people around you and you can feel the air around you, whether people are in good mood, problem cropping up and what not other thing. I ain't no manager but I'm learning to become one and trust me it's easier to write code and debugging rather than becoming a manager. Also you must spend a lot of time interacting with different parties so you won't have the time to keep yourself updated or renew your technical skills like before, you really need to manage your time carefully and every minute and hours is really really precious.

Read: Manager != Technical Manager

Topic: Intro to Hibernate Turned Legal Battle Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: Doing real work

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use