The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Java Buzz Forum
JavaSpaces replication issues

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
Talip Ozturk

Nickname: talip

Talip Ozturk is founder of Hazelcast, distributed queue, set, map and lock implementation.
JavaSpaces replication issues Posted: Jul 29, 2003 4:50 PM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Java Buzz by Talip Ozturk.
Original Post: JavaSpaces replication issues
Feed Title: Shared Memory
Feed URL: http://sedoparking.com/search/registrar.php?domain=®istrar=sedopark
Feed Description: about java, jini, javaspaces, programming, aop and a little bit of me and life.
Latest Java Buzz Posts
Latest Java Buzz Posts by Talip Ozturk
Latest Posts From Shared Memory

Advertisement
I have been thinking about JavaSpaces cluster implementation issues for a while. I wanted to write them down and get peoples' opinions. Please let me know if I am skipping something or you think there are other issues to be considered. These are mainly replication issues.

1. asynchronous replication. Obviously asynch. replication will help performance of an javaspaces impl. It is very good if the intent is to back up the state of a space so that if master(original space) dies, invocations can be routed to the replica. That means if A is the original space and B is its replica then every invocation goes to A until A dies. When it dies, invocations are routed to B. This is nice. on the other hand, if A and B has no master-slave relation and both are used for load balancing and replication then it is problematic to use asynch. replication because let say you write an entry to A then load balancer chooses B for the next invocation which is doing read operation, client may not be able to read that entry from space B because space A replicates the entries in asynch. fashion. In conclusion, asynch. replication should not be used if replica is a part of load-balance group in the cluster. in short;

if (load-balance & asynchronous replication) throw new Exception ("subject to inconsistency" :)
this may not be correct if load-balancing policy is written to work with asynch. replication scenarios. Round-robin will cause problem for example.

2. Handling lease cancellations. Lets say space A and B are clustered (load balance, fail-over, replication). You write entry E into the cluster; load balancer chooses space A as target space, then entry E is written to the space A and returns a lease to the client. Since A and B are in replication group, the entry is replicated into space B synchronously or asynchronously. Client that wrote the entry E into clustered-space acquires the lease and before it expires, client explicitly cancels the lease. Since the lease is issued by space A, space A will remove the entry E. That should also result in removing the entry E from space B.

Read: JavaSpaces replication issues

Topic: J2Me Practitioner Survey Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: Nukes Discusion:

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use