The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Java Buzz Forum
Wanted: GUI Wrapper for Text-Based Java Applications

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
Rod Waldhoff

Nickname: rwald

Rod Waldhoff is.
Wanted: GUI Wrapper for Text-Based Java Applications Posted: Jul 29, 2003 4:54 PM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Java Buzz by Rod Waldhoff.
Original Post: Wanted: GUI Wrapper for Text-Based Java Applications
Feed Title: Rod Waldhoff: Java Channel
Feed URL: http://radio-weblogs.com/0122027/categories/java/rss.xml
Feed Description: about the Java programming language
Latest Java Buzz Posts
Latest Java Buzz Posts by Rod Waldhoff
Latest Posts From Rod Waldhoff: Java Channel

Advertisement

I've got a simple console-based (i.e., text interface) Java application that I'd like to expose via Java Web Start or as an Applet. I can't, however, because System.in and System.out aren't attached to anything useful, so my application runs invisibly and can't collect any input.

What I need is a simple wrapper application that creates a basic text i/o frame that looks like stdin/stdout to my application's main method. (Or, failing that, to a custom main(String[] args, InputStream stdin, PrintStream stdout, PrintStream stderr) method.) More elaborate interfaces, such as color coded output, distinct stdout and stderr frames, spool to file, etc., are easily imagined.

I believe such an application would have fairly broad utility. A web search finds quite a few elaborate telnet/ssh oriented terminal emulators, which one might be able to pare down to what I'm looking for, but it seems like someone would have already tackled this problem. Lazy web to the rescue?

Read: Wanted: GUI Wrapper for Text-Based Java Applications

Topic: No Broken Windows Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: Quote DB Cracks Me Up

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use