The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Ruby Buzz Forum
Automagic (generalizable) working set discovery, improved ruby-wmii WM scripting 0.2.1

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
Eigen Class

Nickname: eigenclass

Eigenclass is a hardcore Ruby blog.
Automagic (generalizable) working set discovery, improved ruby-wmii WM scripting 0.2.1 Posted: Jun 21, 2006 3:19 AM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Ruby Buzz by Eigen Class.
Original Post: Automagic (generalizable) working set discovery, improved ruby-wmii WM scripting 0.2.1
Feed Title: Eigenclass
Feed URL: http://feeds.feedburner.com/eigenclass
Feed Description: Ruby stuff --- trying to stay away from triviality.
Latest Ruby Buzz Posts
Latest Ruby Buzz Posts by Eigen Class
Latest Posts From Eigenclass

Advertisement

It seems I'm not the only Rubyist who likes the wmii window manager, so I decided to release my wmiirc configuration in Ruby formally. It's cleaner than the original one, and I've added lots of good stuff: view/tag namespaces, new view switching mechanisms, new actions, improved handling of numeric tags (a superset of _why's bindings, can be used with and without numerical tags), better retagging, etc.

And then there's this funny thing nobody would want to implement in shell script :)...

Working set inference using a biased Markov model with exponential decay

I normally have around a dozen open views/tags at a time, so even switching to the Nth one with ALT+N becomes relatively difficult: counting past the 5th view or so requires some thinking. A possible solution can be found on wmii's wiki: a key binding that jumps to the first view starting with the pressed letter. But that won't work very well unless you name your views carefully.

Fortunately, the transitions between views aren't random: they're often predictable, since I tend to stay within a given working set. I came up with a way to discover it automagically.

Read more...

Read: Automagic (generalizable) working set discovery, improved ruby-wmii WM scripting 0.2.1

Topic: A tough decision Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: Karma Bites

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use