The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Ruby Buzz Forum
The Oath of the Conscientious Programmer

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
Matt Williams

Nickname: ottercat

Matt Williams is a subversive secretly replacing their java with ruby. Let's see if they notice.
The Oath of the Conscientious Programmer Posted: Jun 6, 2007 7:45 AM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Ruby Buzz by Matt Williams.
Original Post: The Oath of the Conscientious Programmer
Feed Title: Subverting the Paradigm
Feed URL: http://subvertingtheparadigm.ottercat.net/feed/rss.xml
Feed Description: Which Paradigm? Pretty much all of them. It's about programming, exploring, management theory, development, and other radical notions. One day I'll talk about Ruby. The next day Rails. Javascript will be thrown in for good measure. Maybe even (gasp!) some Java. Thoughts about management style, too. A little bit of this, a little bit of that, all thrown together in a subversive attempt to change the world, but in a good way.
Latest Ruby Buzz Posts
Latest Ruby Buzz Posts by Matt Williams
Latest Posts From Subverting the Paradigm

Advertisement
I came across the The Professional Programmer's Hippocratic Oath at Ted Neward's blog, The Blog Ride, and it struck a chord in me.

I swear to fulfill, to the best of my ability and judgment, this covenant:

I will respect the hard-won scientific gains of those programmers and researchers in whose steps I walk, and gladly share such knowledge as is mine with those who are to follow. That includes respect for both those who prefer to keep their work to themselves, as well as those who seek improvement through the open community.

I will apply, for the benefit of the customer, all measures [that] are required, avoiding those twin traps of gold-plating and computing nihilism.

I will remember that there is humanity to programming as well as science, and that warmth, sympathy, and understanding will far outweigh the programmer's editor or the vendor's tool.

I will not be ashamed to say "I know not," nor will I fail to call in my colleagues when the skills of another are needed for a system's development, nor will I hold in lower estimation those colleagues who ask of my opinions or skills.

I will respect the privacy of my customers, for their problems are not disclosed to me that the world may know. Most especially must I tread with care in matters of life and death, or of customers' perceptions of the same. If it is given me to save a project or a company, all thanks. But it may also be within my power to kill a project, for the company's greater good; this awesome responsibility must be faced with great humbleness and awareness of my own frailty. Above all, I must not play at God, and remain open to others' ideas or opinions.

I will remember that I do not create a report, or a data entry screen, but tools for human beings, whose problems may affect the person's family and economic stability. My responsibility includes these related problems, if I am to care adequately for those who are technologically impaired.

I will actively seek to avoid problems that are time-locked, for I know that software written today will still be running long after I was told it would be replaced.

I will remember that I remain a member of society, both our own and of the one surrounding all of us, with special obligations to all my fellow human beings, those sound of mind and body as well as the clueless.

If I do not violate this oath, may I enjoy life and art, respected while I live and remembered with affection thereafter. May I always act so as to preserve the finest traditions of my calling and may I long experience the joy of the thanks and praise from those who seek my help.

I, Matthew K. Williams, so swear.

Read: The Oath of the Conscientious Programmer

Topic: Are You a Real Web Developer or Just Pretending? Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: Agile RTP Presents Ken Auer

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use