The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Ruby Buzz Forum
The Joys of Unemployment

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
Daniel Berger

Nickname: djberg96

Daniel Berger is a Ruby Programmer who also dabbles in C and Perl
The Joys of Unemployment Posted: Mar 15, 2013 9:54 AM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Ruby Buzz by Daniel Berger.
Original Post: The Joys of Unemployment
Feed Title: Testing 1,2,3...
Feed URL: http://djberg96.livejournal.com/data/rss
Feed Description: A blog on Ruby and other stuff.
Latest Ruby Buzz Posts
Latest Ruby Buzz Posts by Daniel Berger
Latest Posts From Testing 1,2,3...

Advertisement
As I approach nearly 18 months of unemployment (save for 1 6-week gig in the middle there), I guess I should write a blog entry. What the hell have I been doing in that time?

After I quit my job in Boulder, I went on a 6-week road trip around the country. Starting in Colorado, I headed east through Kansas, Missouri, down to Tennessee and Alabama, over to Georgia, up the eastern states to Virginia, back west through Ohio, up to Michigan, over to Wisconsin (via the UP), then west through Minnesota, South Dakota, Wyoming and finally back to Colorado.

You can see the whole trip here.

Then I took a long hiatus. I job searched a little, but I never really found anything I liked. My main goal was to find something that did NOT involve Rails, which proved quite difficult. I did have one promising opportunity at Spiceworks, but instead of offering me a job they offered me a 3-month contract. I finished it in 6 weeks (well, I think I did, I got almost no feedback), then they asked me to work on....Rails, exactly what I told them I didn't want to do.

In the meantime I've been developing my next board game called "Hands in the Sea". It's based on a Martin Wallace design, though very different in some ways. Here's the BGG entry. My sister took my photoshopped map and did some professional touch ups. I think it looks good. I've had some interest from publishers, but no one has officially picked it up.

Anyway, it's probably time to finally visit the unemployment office. ;)

Read: The Joys of Unemployment

Topic: Clojure: Expectations Interaction Tests For Java Objects Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: Synchronizing Snapshots and Incrementals With Single Threading

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2014 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use - Advertise with Us