The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Ruby Buzz Forum
Software Apprenticeship Podcast Update

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
Jake Scruggs

Nickname: aurorae314

Jake Scruggs is a developer at ThoughtWorks
Software Apprenticeship Podcast Update Posted: Jun 13, 2014 9:18 AM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Ruby Buzz by Jake Scruggs.
Original Post: Software Apprenticeship Podcast Update
Feed Title: Jake Scruggs
Feed URL: http://jakescruggs.blogspot.com/feeds/posts/default
Feed Description: Ruby, Rails, Metrics, Testing, and pursuit of clean code.
Latest Ruby Buzz Posts
Latest Ruby Buzz Posts by Jake Scruggs
Latest Posts From Jake Scruggs

Advertisement
Episode 4 “Time to Exercise!” is out right now! Search for it on your favorite podcast app or check out our free temp website here: http://softwareapprenticeship.libsyn.com

With 4 weeks under his belt (plus 9 weeks of Dev Bootcamp) our apprentice, Jonathan Howden, continues his quest to become an enterprise software developer at an amazingly rapid pace.  Can a dedicated man become a good developer without a college degree?  Tune in and find out (spoiler: he’s doing well but it’s intense) 

Topics this week:
  • Doing push-ups to break up the lethargy of coding
  • Migrating from Authlogic to Devise/Warden and the perils of using a framework’s column in the database for activation.
  • Why senior programmers avoid becoming mentors
  • Rails’ Asset Pipeline  
  • The usual screwing around and one censored F-bomb (sorry - it was me).

Yesterday we all sat in a room and reviewed Jon’s chess code (his outside of work coding project).  I’ll try to put up a more detailed article about it soon, but in brief it went well.  It’s fun to watch a junior developer try to encode all the crazy logic of chess while keeping the code clean, tested, and understandable.  Other than making the classic mistake of mocking/stubbing the very object he was testing, Jon has some pretty readable code that will “mostly” let 2 people play chess against each other.

Episode 5’s in the can (on the SSD?) and we’re recording episode 6 later today with Dave Hoover, co-founder of Dev Bootcamp.  Jonathan attended Chicago’s DBC in September of 2013 so Dave will get to check in with how Jon is doing in the “wild.”  Also, Dave and I worked at both ThoughtWorks and Obtiva together so it should be quite an interesting conversation.

I really wanted this to be a weekly podcast but here we are at the end of the 9th week and only recording our 6th ep.  Now that we’ve been through the recording and editing  process a few times it should be easier to stick to a weekly schedule.  Even if we weren’t recording the conversation I would still have a weekly wrap up with members of the team and the apprentice — it is a very nice way to sum up the week and lessons learned.  It's sort of a weekly, recorded, low stakes retrospective.

The views and opinions expressed here are my own and don’t necessarily represent positions, strategies, or opinions of Backstop Solutions Group.

Read: Software Apprenticeship Podcast Update

Topic: Working Effectively with Unit Tests Rough Draft Complete Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: The Definition of Garbage

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use