The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Web Buzz Forum
CSS colour words in hex

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
Stuart Langridge

Nickname: aquarius

Stuart Langridge is a web, JavaScript, and Python hacker, and sometimes all three at once.
CSS colour words in hex Posted: May 6, 2016 3:27 PM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Web Buzz by Stuart Langridge.
Original Post: CSS colour words in hex
Feed Title: as days pass by
Feed URL: http://feeds.feedburner.com/kryogenix
Feed Description: scratched tallies on the prison wall
Latest Web Buzz Posts
Latest Web Buzz Posts by Stuart Langridge
Latest Posts From as days pass by

Advertisement

One of the nice little fillips about writing CSS is that occasionally you use a colour code which turns out to be a word; the most famous here is probably #DECADE. I ran across bada55.io which has made a whole site from this and was quite pleased, but the terrible old grammarian in me just can’t deal with the l33tsp34k nature of most of the suggestions. You’re obviously allowed A to F, and I’m prepared to allow 0 as O and 1 as I, but using 5 as an S or 3 as E is dubious, using 1 as an L is exceptionally dubious (especially when it’s already being an I in the same word!), and 7 for T or 4 for A or 6/G or (incomprehensibly) 9/P are right out. The fun nature of the game goes away when you have to puzzle out the meaning of the word like it’s a crossword clue or one of those horrid personalised number plates.

So, if we excise these crimes against spelling, all the colours that make what I consider to be proper words are below. There are obviously rather a lot of pastel shades, since each of the red, green, and blue channels will almost certainly be A0 or larger, but that’s not necessarily a problem (and there are a couple of decent highly-saturated colours in there too; I’m particularly fond of #AC1D1C and plan to use it more often). If we admit white and black into the palette, it’d almost certainly be possible to build a site while drawing solely from this list for your colour choices. Something to bear in mind for a future project, maybe.

• abided
  • acacia
  • accede
  • acidic
  • babied
  • baobab
  • beaded
  • bedded
  • beefed
  • bobbed
  • bodice
  • boobed
  • cabbed
  • cabbie
  • caddie
  • cicada
  • codded
  • coffee
  • coifed
  • dabbed
  • decade
  • decide
  • decode
  • deeded
  • deface
  • defied
  • deiced
  • doffed
  • doodad
  • eddied
  • efface
  • facade
  • fibbed
  • fobbed
  • office

Addendum: I forgot about three-character hex colour codes! Of which there are also quite a few, and we do a lot better at the saturated ones this time because a whole channel is quite often 0 or 1. Although it’s less lexicographically elegant to use a three-character word.

• ace
  • add
  • ado
  • aid
  • baa
  • bad
  • bed
  • bee
  • bib
  • bid
  • boa
  • bob
  • boo
  • cab
  • cad
  • cob
  • cod
  • coo
  • dab
  • dad
  • deb
  • did
  • die
  • doc
  • doe
  • ebb
  • fad
  • fed
  • fee
  • fib
  • fie
  • fob
  • foe
  • ice
  • oaf
  • odd
  • ode
  • oof
  • off

Read: CSS colour words in hex

Topic: First blog post Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: Rules for Operations

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use