The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

.NET Buzz Forum
Windows Sharepoint Services 2.0

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
Sascha Corti

Nickname: sascha

Sascha Corti is a developer evangelist for Microsoft in Switzerland.
Windows Sharepoint Services 2.0 Posted: Sep 21, 2003 8:56 AM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with .NET Buzz by Sascha Corti.
Original Post: Windows Sharepoint Services 2.0
Feed Title: Console.WriteLine("Hello World");
Feed URL: http://www.corti.com/WebLogSascha/blogxbrowsing.asmx/GetRss?
Feed Description: A technology blog with a focus on the .NET framework, the Visual Studio .NET tools and the Windows server platform with of course the normal weblog-noise on what's happening in the industry and reviews of the latest geeky gadgets.
Latest .NET Buzz Posts
Latest .NET Buzz Posts by Sascha Corti
Latest Posts From Console.WriteLine("Hello World");

Advertisement

I was no Sharepoint fan until now, I preferred the ASP.NET starter kits (Portal, Community) for these kinds of portals but I have been playing with the new Windows Sharepoint Services 2.0 on Windows 2003 Server this weekend and think that I like this new version. It's all based on ASP.NET and, if you tell it that you want to install it for use in a "server farm" (even if you don't do that later), it allows you to host all of its data in SQL server. Otherwise all data gets stored in MSDE - which is no bad solution either...

If you don't want Sharepoint to take over your web root, you best configure a second website on IIS and tell it either to listen on a different port than http:80 or to look for a specific host header while sharing port 80. You then make sure that Frontpage server extensions are not installed on this new website and give the app pool service that will run Sharepoint services (NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE by default in Windows 2003 server) modify-permissions on the default TMP and TEMP folders (usually %WINDIR%\temp). Now you may install WSS - either using MSDE or SQL Server as database and "extend" it to the new website.

Very nice document management features right oob - especially for Infopath documents. WSS can parse Infopath documents and display selected parts of their content in aggregated views.

Good extensibility via .NET framework as well using web parts, but I am lacking the WSS source code that I have with the ASP.NET starter kits.

Read: Windows Sharepoint Services 2.0

Topic: More on Paired Programming and Free Tools Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: Great Quote from G. Andrew Duthie on Chris Sells Blog

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use