The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Agile Buzz Forum
Smalltalk Solutions Daily Update: 5/8/05

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
James Robertson

Nickname: jarober61

David Buck, Smalltalker at large
Smalltalk Solutions Daily Update: 5/8/05 Posted: May 8, 2005 11:52 AM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Agile Buzz by James Robertson.
Original Post: Smalltalk Solutions Daily Update: 5/8/05
Feed Title: Cincom Smalltalk Blog - Smalltalk with Rants
Feed URL: http://www.cincomsmalltalk.com/rssBlog/rssBlogView.xml
Feed Description: James Robertson comments on Cincom Smalltalk, the Smalltalk development community, and IT trends and issues in general.
Latest Agile Buzz Posts
Latest Agile Buzz Posts by James Robertson
Latest Posts From Cincom Smalltalk Blog - Smalltalk with Rants

Advertisement

Register for StS 2005 now - so you can hear about interesting community work like this:

OpentalkMatrix

presentation

Monteiro, Charles: OCIT

Tuesday 9:15 am to 10 am

Abstract: OpentalkMatrix is a p2p application in some respects similar to LimeWire. It will be used as the context for discussion of Opentalk ST-ST distributed object messaging protocol. The discussion will include issues related to secured communications in particular integrating with Stunnel, gnutella-like query propagation, among other things. The discussion will not assume any prior knowledge of Opentalk ST-ST and therefore it will also include a brief introduction to the related concepts. There will be a demonstration of OpentalkMatrix which will consist of searching for components on a network and downloading the components to the query issuer's node. Currently, a component can be any file type. However, special treatment is provided for parcels. A query for a parcel will find said parcel and not only download the parcel but all pre-requisite parcels as well as other non-parcel files that have been registered as pre-requisites i.e. typically configuration and data files, possibly images etc. Once loaded the parcel can then be engaged i.e. launched.

There is a security mechanism in place to secure unauthorized download of components. Currently, it is password based but the basic framework is in place to do more sophisticated enforcement. OpentalkMatrix, also illustrates the notion of an SRE (Smalltalk Runtime Environment). It is also somewhat similar to what Java Web Start does i.e. it accomplishes the same thing. Note that the plan is to provide support for another type of component namely a "service". A service is something that does something for you on the p2p network. Once a service is found then said service can be engaged.

Finally the demo hopefully will include audience participation i.e. attendees should be able to logon onto the wireless p2p network and find something i.e. such as they would were they using LimeWire.

Bio: Charles A. Monteiro has been the chair of NYC Smalltalk for the last 4 years and been a member since 1996. He has been actively using Smalltalk since 1994 and has delivered enterprise applications to Fortune 500 companies such as Florida Power & Light, Keyspan Enery and ADP. His professional application experience has involved diverse technical areas such as custom pen graphics, geographical information systems, object database systems, multimedia consumer apps, web enablement of AS400 systems and peer to peer systems. The business domains include gas and electric utlities, finance, music education, EAI and database tools.

Charles is currently the technical architect and project lead for an established small NYC metro based financial software firm where Opentalk is actively being used. The company's clients include one of the largest banks in the world. Other Smalltalk related activities include working on a open source Traits implementation for VisualWorks. Most of his leisure time however is spent playing and studying the guitar.

See you in Orlando!

Read: Smalltalk Solutions Daily Update: 5/8/05

Topic: Spam will not be solved Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: Let me translate

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use