The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Agile Buzz Forum
Bliki: ExtremeProgramming

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
Martin Fowler

Nickname: mfowler

Martin Fowler is an author and loud mouth on software development
Bliki: ExtremeProgramming Posted: Jul 11, 2013 9:39 AM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Agile Buzz by Martin Fowler.
Original Post: Bliki: ExtremeProgramming
Feed Title: Martin Fowler's Bliki
Feed URL: http://martinfowler.com/feed.atom
Feed Description: A cross between a blog and wiki of my partly-formed ideas on software development
Latest Agile Buzz Posts
Latest Agile Buzz Posts by Martin Fowler
Latest Posts From Martin Fowler's Bliki

Advertisement

Extreme Programming (XP) is a software development methodology developed primarily by Kent Beck. XP was one of the first agile methods, indeed XP was the dominant agile method in the late 90s and early 00s before Scrum became dominant as the noughties passed. Many people (including myself) consider XP to be the primary catalyst that got attention to agile methods, and superior to Scrum as a base for starting out in agile development.

Kent developed XP over the course of his consulting to Smalltalk projects in the late 80s and early 90s. The full set of practices that came to be known as XP were first used together in the C3 project (where I worked with Kent and learned about it). The name "Extreme Programming" came later as the approach was described, first informally on the WikiWikiWeb and then later in a series of books. Various teams took the description in the WikiWikiWeb and implemented XP themselves, thus replicating the methodology and showing it could be used outside its original home.

Kent describes XP by a progression of ideas from broad and abstract values through principles, to concrete practices - a progression that I find useful to apply in many other contexts. It popularized many practices that have since been widely used in software development, including: continuous integration, refactoring, TestDrivenDevelopment, and agile planning. I particularly like its combination of technical and management practices, which make it a good fit for reaching two-star agile fluency [1].

Although, like most XPers, I don't think it's terribly useful to judge a team on whether they are doing XP or not; I would say that most ThoughtWorks projects operate in a style that is primarily influenced by XP.

Further Reading

The definitive description of Extreme Programming is Kent's white book.

Notes

1: a contrast to Scrum which intentionally only includes management practices, and is thus vulnerable to becoming FlaccidScrum

Read: Bliki: ExtremeProgramming

Topic: Self-Organize or Die Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: Hansoft Now Available Natively on Mac OS X

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use