The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Agile Buzz Forum
Interesting article on priorities

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
James Robertson

Nickname: jarober61

David Buck, Smalltalker at large
Interesting article on priorities Posted: Aug 5, 2003 2:56 PM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Agile Buzz by James Robertson.
Original Post: Interesting article on priorities
Feed Title: Cincom Smalltalk Blog - Smalltalk with Rants
Feed URL: http://www.cincomsmalltalk.com/rssBlog/rssBlogView.xml
Feed Description: James Robertson comments on Cincom Smalltalk, the Smalltalk development community, and IT trends and issues in general.
Latest Agile Buzz Posts
Latest Agile Buzz Posts by James Robertson
Latest Posts From Cincom Smalltalk Blog - Smalltalk with Rants

Advertisement
IT World has a fascinating article on the cost of saving disk space versus making application installation/maintenance easier. Their base point - with disk space so easily and cheaply available, we are worrying about the wrong things with shared libraries, etc.:

It seems to me that IT professionals spend an inordinate amount of time debugging problems that can be traced back to an anachronism in the way applications are built. The anachronism is the notion that disk space is more expensive than the person-hour cost of the poor customer installing the application. That used to be the case but is not the case any more.

In a world where a gigabyte of disk space costs less than a cup of coffee, why do developers regularly spend hours of expensive time (drinking multiple cups of coffee) in order to sort out problems that only exist because of a misplaced desire to save a gigabyte of disk space?

This is interesting. I hadn't given it a lot of thought, but there's something to this. I'll have to ponder this before I come to a conclusion, but it certainly made me think...

Read: Interesting article on priorities

Topic: Agiledox Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: StaticMesh first cut

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use